Resources > Fake Coins and Notorious Fake Sellers

Fake Elagabalus Sestertius?

(1/2) > >>

mauseus:
Hi,

Salvaged this probable fake Elagabalus sestertius from a rummage tray for reference.

Edge file (to hide casting marks?) and soft features on the obverse in particular. Weight approximately 22 grammes and die axis approximating to 360 degrees.

Regards,

Mauseus

Postumus:
Look original to me ....

mauseus:
Hi,

The style is good and I think cast from an original. The edge is severely filed (not in itself damning as many large coins were filed to fit trays in the past I believe).

On the reverse there is a raised casting fault (?) on the T of ANTONINI, suspicious (pointed out by a museum numismatist in York); and on the obverse on front of the face there is softness of the features and the lettering too.

I did put a question mark on the title line because of the three fakes I posted today this was one I am not certain about.

Regards,

Mauseus

curtislclay:
The dies are of course original.  I have plaster casts of two authentic sestertii from the same obv. die, but a different rev. die of the same type.

mauseus:
Hi,

Thanks for the replies so far.

Weight 22.4 grammes, within the range of sestertii for this issue, but then, as it it the right size & thickness it would be. Die axis 0 degrees.

Is the evidence of iling and obverse weakness sufficient to damn the coin on the balance of probability?

Regards,

Mauseus

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version