Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Your coins  (Read 2002 times)

basemetal

Your coins
« on: January 28, 2006, 11:43:04 pm »
What is it about Roman coins......other collectors bag 'em slab 'em, book 'em and mostly isolate them.
I cannot do this with my Roman coins.  I try not to screw up the patina by fondling them too much but I also find that I cannot isolate them in a sterile environment.  Someting about them that requires touching them. A link with the past perhaps.

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
Re: Your coins
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2006, 07:05:50 pm »
I collect denarii and normally after handling them I give them a good rinse in distilled water. I've heard tales of fingerprint smudging on denarii and feel it's better to be safe than sorry. (I know, I know...I have OCD tendencies! lol)

Marc Zimmerman

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2006, 03:48:23 pm »
I handled my denarii when i first got it...should i rinse it with distilled water?

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2006, 06:24:36 pm »
I handled my denarii when i first got it...should i rinse it with distilled water?

I would just to be safe. I'm sure your coins will be ok if you don't.

It's very easy to rinse them in distilled water if you decide to...plus you will be certain not to leave any oils from you fingers on the coins.

Marc Zimmerman

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2006, 09:43:21 pm »
Thanks

basemetal

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2006, 09:05:25 pm »
I do find that a few of the "lovely green patina" coins seem to lose some of  that patina with minimal touching.  Is that the result of the evil Jax?

basemetal

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2006, 07:32:23 pm »
Also, the "desert" patina may be susceptible to touching.  I saw at a coin show several that were just shy of perfect-before some oily-handed individual picked one up by a corner. So they now have a nice patina with a dark quarter moon of dark brown.

exquisiteoaf

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2006, 07:52:58 pm »
What is it about Roman coins......other collectors bag 'em slab 'em, book 'em and mostly isolate them.
I cannot do this with my Roman coins.  I try not to screw up the patina by fondling them too much but I also find that I cannot isolate them in a sterile environment.  Someting about them that requires touching them. A link with the past perhaps.

I think the fact, in the case of coins that one has cleaned themselves from a group of uncleaneds, at least, that these pieces of metal have sat in the ground for almost 2,000 years or so and still exist in a quite intact condition makes you sort of realize how durable and timeless these things are. This would seem to invite caressing of the coins' deliciously high-relief surfaces moreso, than say, your collection of frosty mint 1880s U.S. morgan dollars.

In short, if the coin survived all that time in the ground, it can't hurt to enjoy touching it a little bit. (Yes, of course, I know there are exceptions for espescially nice pieces that you don't want to mar with errant fingerprints).

Mike

All coins are guaranteed for eternity