Resources > Fake Coins and Notorious Fake Sellers

Alexander fake?

(1/4) > >>

eduardo:
Hello,
Long time ago I got thos coin and truly I cant remember what I paid but since I was not after greek coins I believe it was not much.  In any case I have always suspected that it is fake.  Pretty but fake.  Could someone give me more details.

Thankyou in advance

Eduardo

ember:
Hi,

I believe you're right on both counts.  It is pretty, but fake.  None of the eagle coins in Price look anything like that.

Darcy 

Federico M:
Hi,

I agree: the coin looks very suspicious (maybe cast?). I don't know this reverse type, but waiting for someone more expert, it could be useful to have the weight (and diam.) of the coin (I'm not completely sure it is pure silver, but I may be wrong because of a peculiar toning).

Regards,
Federico

eduardo:
Thank you Darcy and Federico.

The weight is 26.4gr. and the diameter 30mm.  Yes Federico, there is a yelowish tone that is funny.  Something else. The name ends in a Sigma and not in a Y.

Best regards

Eduardo

slokind:
I'd love to learn that this is modern, documented, and made for some purpose.  Somehow I find it enchanting.  The head, especially the lion's scalp, is so slick, and the reverse manages to be both utterly silly looking and rather elegant.
It may be out of place among our coins, but it would be great on the Antiques Roadshow.  Pat Lawrence

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version