Unknown Macrinus, help please!

(1/1)

Jochen:
Hi!

Here I have a denar of Macrinus:
obv. IMP C M OPEL SEV MACRINVS AVG
       Bust laureate, cuirassed, r.
rev. PONTIF MAX TR P II COS II P P
       Emperor in quadriga l., holding palmbranch, crowned by Victory standing behind him
Ø 19 mm, 2.87 g.

Now I have difficulties to attribute this coin. Could it be a cast (Limes-Falsum)? Sorry for the bad pic!

Any opinion highly appreciated!

Regards

curtislclay:
There you go, another specimen of the coin Rupert has, that I said I suspect of being a modern cast, since this is now the fifth spec. that I have seen since 1991!
Whether an ancient or a modern cast, it attests the existence of a genuine denarius which is unpublished in that denomination with TR P II not just TR P.
I think Rupert is sending me his spec., which has very deceptive deposits and corrosion, so that I can consider its nature through personal inspection.

dwarf:
Hello Curtis

We asked Jochen to post this coin, as we anticipated your answer.

http://www.numismatikforum.de/ftopic9993.html

Can you give us more information?

Greetings
dwarf

curtislclay:
Dwarf,
      As I reported in another Forum thread, and have also replied to your German Forum, I have an authentic denarius from the same obv. die, which clearly demonstrates that my specimen of the quadriga denarius is a cast, but also proves that it must represent an authentic struck original.
      There's no need to fish for a response from me, however, hoping that I may bite!  Just ask me directly, explaining the circumstances, and I'll happily answer!
Regards,
Curtis Clay

Jochen:
Hi Curtis!

I think I should say that there was no bad meaning when I wrote 'Ich hoffe, Curtis Clay wird anbeißen'. I want to say 'I hope he will recognize the post and has an answer for us!'

Best regards

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version