Resources > Fake Coins and Notorious Fake Sellers

New Monneron photos

(1/2) > >>

Hydatius:
While sorting through some folders on my hard drive I came across a sizeable collection of images  that I downloaded from Monneron's first sales at the end of June 2004 because I thought they looked suspicious.  I have gone through the existing Monneron photos in the fakes gallery and removed any duplicates.  This leaves 22 new photos of Monneron's original sales: Constantine I, Constantine II, Constantius II, Constans, Constantinople, Helena, and Decentius.  You can find them by searching for my handle (Hydatius) or the date of the sale (June 2004).  I hope this helps the discussion.  I don't think there's any doubt about the authenticity (or rather the "non-authenticity") of just about all these examples.

Richard

wolfgang336:
Here's an interesting one:

There's no second G on AVG! This legend is unlisted in RIC. Interesting blunder...

Evan

Robert_Brenchley:
Did Arles use the row of arches at the top of the gate? I've only seen it on Siscia issues.

Arles:
This is the coin I posted early on in the monneron thread, but that post was later deleted. This coin with VIRTVS AVG reverse legend is unlisted in RIC and as far as I`m aware is not noted in any reference work. I have one of these in my collection, acquired from another collector who had it for many years. The point of my original post was if this coin was modern, where did they come up with the idea?
   As for the decorated top row, this was started midway through the S/F/PCONST mintmark, and during the final series of Arles campgates marked T/F/PCONST, (such as this coin), all had a decorated top row, at least every one I`ve ever seen.
Keith

wolfgang336:
If I look closely enough, I can sort of make out dot eyebrows on the bust. As far as I'm aware, this was only done at Trier. Can you confirm that it was never done at Arles, Keith?

Evan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version