Resources > Fake Coins and Notorious Fake Sellers

N?

(1/3) > >>

BAUGNIET:
Here a part which gives me difficulties of identification.
The face corresponds to a type known for the legend and the portrait. The type known for the legend is a portrait of child whereas here it acts rather of an effigy augustéenne.
The other side shows the sacerdotal instruments which correspond to the legend.
However, this face is for another part whose bust is reversed with another legend.
Either it acts of a part of an unknown type or an error of corner or quite simply a forgery!
Who could help me?

Jochen:
Hi Baugniet!

Your coin is not listed in RIC nor in BMCR. There is only an Denarius with your rev. legend, rev. depiction and obv. legend, but different obv. depiction (bust of Nero to left!).

Wether your coin is real or fake, I can't say!

Regards

Rupert:
Sorry, but I do not see what metal and denomination it is. There are dupondii, aurei and denarii of this type. I presume it's a denarius. However, obv. and rev. do not match. To this obv. would belong the rev. EQUESTER ORDO PRINCIPI IUVENT. From the picture, I think you probably have a fourrée denarius (with the copper core showing through in places; this coin was minted under Claudius, and a great percentage of his denarii are fourrés). So if it's denarius size and dark, oxydized silver, I'd say it's a hybrid plated coin, which is not that rare, although this is an especially pleasant specimen!
Hope this helps,

Rupert

curtislclay:
    Unfortunately a specimen from the same dies as yours is illustrated as a modern forgery by von Kaenel, Coinage of Claudius, pl. 17, 1256 = BMC I, Claudius no. 89, pl. 33.8.
    Maybe vK's classification is wrong, however; BM acquired the coin in 1890 and the Catalogue considers it a fourree, probably ancient.

Rupert:
I've never so far heard of modern fakes imitating ancient fourrées. The corrosion on the bronze spots looks rather convincing, I would have thought.

Rupert

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version