Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Domitian and Domitia Provincial  (Read 1095 times)

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
Domitian and Domitia Provincial
« on: November 05, 2004, 06:27:50 pm »
The following coin just struck me as looking of a completely modern manufacture and I wanted to ask anyone to confirm or deny my suspicions.
Any help with the description, attribution etc. would be welcome if I am to add something meaningful to the Fake Boards.
Regards,
Martin

Offline Steve Minnoch

• Tribunus Plebis 2007
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re:Domitian and Domitia Provincial
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2004, 04:50:39 am »
The only coin with a rev legend like this one listed in the RPC index is from Caesarea by Anazarbus RPC 1749, an AE21. What size is the one above?

Presuming this is indeed the model:

The legends on this one seem to be blundered, note the missing C in CEBACTH (and the H looks like a retrograde N) The original also has a sigma in the modern capital form rather than C in KAICAPEON, and the O should be an omega.  Is that an R rather than a Rho there too?  

Some of the obv letters are also wrong, (should be a theta not a T after AVTO KAI) and ends CEP were it should be (gamma)EP.  PRC notes a variation of the spelling of Domitia, but no variation such as these.

Will attach a scan of the RPC plate coin shortly.

Steve

Offline Steve Minnoch

• Tribunus Plebis 2007
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2004, 04:53:58 am »

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2004, 08:39:47 am »
This examle is 7.8 gms and 23mm is size.
I will add this to the fake boards now.
Martin

All coins are guaranteed for eternity