Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Just for your info - new collectors  (Read 1626 times)

GaiusLucius

Just for your info - new collectors
« on: October 11, 2004, 03:56:39 am »
A friend of mine in London sends me this URL from a store that sells coin reproductions. Although they do not want to fool anyone, they have recently admitted that some of their reproductions are being sold at eBay as authentic roman coins.

[BROKEN LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN]

Online Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re:Just for your info - new collectors
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2004, 06:48:24 pm »
I have seen many of them in hand.  They are not convincing at all in hand.  
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline jimwho523

• Consul
  • Virtuti melius fortunae creditur - Syrus, Maxims
    • My coins in Forums Gallery
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2004, 02:04:29 pm »
Hi all,

I have 5 of these reproductions in hand. They are as Joe says "not convincing at all.

All are "Thick flans" a average of 3 mm, and are the same thickness for Aurei, denari and sestertii

The denari and aureus of Balbinus are exactly the same. they weigh 6.60 grams and 6.55 gms respectively, the details are extremely soft, and casting bubbles are rampant.

The denari and aureus of Pupeinus are also exactly the same, They weigh 9.45 gms and 9.35 gms respectively, the details are extremely soft, and casting bubbles are rampant.

The sestertii ) 1 0f lucius versus, and one of Agrippina Sr.) exhibit the same characteristics of detail being soft, and visible casting bubbles. The weight is 31.05 gms for agrippina, and 19.6 for lucius. The width of the Agrippina is 33 mm and it is 4.5 mm thick. The width of the Lucius is 35 mm and it is 3 mm thick.

All of the coins have a "oily " feel in hand and immediately you can tell that hey are not genuine.

I will post some pictures in the next coouple of replies  
Facilis descensus Averno; sed ad auras evadere est labor! (The Road to hell is a easy one, it is the journey back that is diffulcult!)

Offline jimwho523

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2004, 02:17:14 pm »
Here are the pupeinus denari and aureus
Facilis descensus Averno; sed ad auras evadere est labor! (The Road to hell is a easy one, it is the journey back that is diffulcult!)

Offline jimwho523

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2004, 02:18:01 pm »
and finally, the Balbinus denari and aureus

All coins are guaranteed for eternity