Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Roman Coins Discussion Forum

RIC VIII, bust D and H errors

(1/1)

Flav V:
Hello,

I want to say you that there is an error on types VN MR or anepigraph with veiled bust of Constantine. On mints (i didtn checked the others) Antioch and Constantinople. It is wrote D6 wich is draped and cuirassed. It is therefore the bust H6: H for Head only and 6 for veiled.

Lech Stępniewski:
There are certainly more similar errors in this volume, which is hardly surprising, after all, in a case of thousands of abbreviations. It would be useful to collect all these errors in one place.

BTW if anyone knows of errors in Volumes VI and VII that are not noted on the "Not in RIC" page, I would appreciate any info.

SC:
As I note in my book (p.145 and p.118-119), the two obverses used for this type should both be considered short busts and not heads. 

Both varieties have a small round ring shown at the bottom front - this represents a fibula and thus implies the representation of a shoulder.  One variety - found at Heracles, Nicomedia and Cynics actually includes a small portion of the right shoulder, the other does not, but both have the fibula.

SC

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version