Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: An Unpublished Vespasian COTD  (Read 318 times)

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
An Unpublished Vespasian COTD
« on: May 08, 2023, 03:53:40 am »
Well, I've been on a roll this year stumbling across coin types or varieties that previously have not been published. My latest is a new variety of an extremely rare Vespasian Ephesian bronze. A truly remarkable coin!

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=182602

In hand.

https://youtu.be/OOrQD5-tqZA

Any comments are welcomed! Also, if you have or know of another one please let me know!

Thank you for looking.

Offline gallienus1

• Caesar
  • Hope for the best but prepare for the worst
Re: An Unpublished Vespasian COTD
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2023, 07:39:27 am »

Another great coin David.

The Ephesian issues of Vespasian are always fascinating from an artistic perspective.  Your example with its fine expressive portrait combined with the impressive and well balanced crossed cornucopiae and caduceus design on the reverse makes it particularly appealing. Again, the YouTube gives a strong sense what it must be like to hold in the hand.

Steve

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
Re: An Unpublished Vespasian COTD
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2023, 07:37:35 am »
Quote from: gallienus1 on May 10, 2023, 07:39:27 am

Another great coin David.

The Ephesian issues of Vespasian are always fascinating from an artistic perspective.  Your example with its fine expressive portrait combined with the impressive and well balanced crossed cornucopiae and caduceus design on the reverse makes it particularly appealing. Again, the YouTube gives a strong sense what it must be like to hold in the hand.

Steve

Thanks for the kind words Steve. And I completely agree with you about the appeal of the Ephesian issues ... very artistic indeed!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity