Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: whats real and whats not  (Read 2047 times)

Offline lv88

• Consul
    • Armenian Numismatic Page
whats real and whats not
« on: September 16, 2004, 06:12:40 pm »
many people here on the forum have said that the seller Rromanseller on ebay combines forgeries and geniune coins and artifacts in his lots. i am confuse what is real and what is not. most of his coins i saw were shiny as if stripped from overcleaning and porous, and others had near perfect centering.

is this for example real ?

is there anything in his current lots that is fake

regards levon

Offline wolfgang336

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Aut Caesar Aut Nullus
Re:whats real and whats not
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2004, 06:28:01 pm »
Keep in mind that this seller is a known source of fakes. I just avoid him.

Evan

Offline lv88

• Consul
    • Armenian Numismatic Page
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2004, 06:35:37 pm »
yes, i agree with you however

i still have a little argument inside me, it is a gamble with 50-50 chances, and the rewards seem decent, but i suppose safe is better than sorry with this guy

regards levon

William J Bligh

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2004, 01:23:06 am »
A majority of those sestertii, if not all of them , are fake. All the ones I looked at of Nero , the style was all wrong. They all scream fake, especially the Port of Ostia one.

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2004, 04:10:01 am »
They don't look right at all.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Online Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2004, 12:33:00 pm »
Never ever buy any coin from a seller that has been condemned as a regular peddler of fakes.  Many many fakes are good enough to pass in a photo.  Unless you have significant general expertise many fakes will be good enough to pass your in-hand inspection.  Unless you have significant expertise in the specific type you should not feel at all confident in your judgment.  If you have great expertise then you are already smart enough not to buy from any unreliable seller no matter what your opinion of the coin!  

WHO CARES WHAT MIGHT BE REAL.  WE CANNOT SAY FROM PICTURES WHAT IS NOT.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline featherz

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • All Elagabalus provincials to me, please! :)
    • Aeqvitas.com
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2004, 12:38:37 pm »
I was just about to say the same thing, Joe. I don't care if he's got up some super duper Elagabalus provincial I don't have, I won't buy from him. I don't even look at his coins except for when they are posted on various fake boards..

Offline featherz

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • All Elagabalus provincials to me, please! :)
    • Aeqvitas.com
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2004, 06:50:19 pm »
LOL! I have a fake 'WRL' keychain like that last coin and it looks more real  ;D

Julius

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2004, 04:12:11 pm »
Hi guys,

Thank you very much for this forum topic! In a 'not so very clever mood' I put a bid on three of romansellers coins. Fortunately I have been outbid ;D so it is not a problem anymore. How can these (/his)practices be stopped; I looked among his sales and there are quite a lot of coins of similar 'appeal' with very happy customers :o !  
Anyway, thank you very much and keep up the good work!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity