Numismatic and History Discussions > Roman Coins

RIC X 1807

(1/2) > >>

Flav V:
Hello,

In the RIC X the number 1807 for Theodosius II shoulde be a bust with CbLB so a consular bust with mappa and cruciform scepter, turned left (note that in bust description C is note turned left and therefore it dont nedd the suffix L). The portraiture is bearded. The reference noted is L (not in Italic but i actually think it still indicate the bibliography), the book is: Late Roman Bronze Coins A.D. 324-491 CARSON R. A. G., HILL P.V., KENT J.P.C. I dont have the book and find strange it quote a gold coin. Can you tell me if it talk about this coin in private colletion? Quote me the note please if you can.

Pekka K:

L in footnote 1807 points to London, British Museum.

Pekka K

Flav V:
How can it be quoted by the museum? It is on private collection. In this case where can i see the note of the museum?

Pekka K:

Footnote 1807: "Private collection, note in L; confirmation required."

-> this coin is in a private collection, and it is noted in British Museum cataloque,
but confirmation is required.

Pekka K

Flav V:
Ok, i got the case where the letter was not in Italic but the source was the italic reference by error. Thats why i suspected another error.

Thanks, do you have the book and the exact note inside? What is the exact book? BMC Coins of the Roman Empire in The British Museum?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version