Resources > Fake Coins and Notorious Fake Sellers

Tiberius Denarius. Modern Fake, Contemporary Fouree, or Genuine?

(1/2) > >>

Baron:
Hi All,

This is my first time posting on this forum. I've been collecting denarius for a year, but this Tiberius "Tribute Penny" is my first higher end denarius. However, I am aware this specific Denarius is one of the most faked out there, other than Caesar Elephant Denarius perhaps. I don't have many experts in my area, so I am heading to coin forums to get expert opinions. I purchased from an Ancient dealer within an hour of me with a good history, but I can imagine a really good fake could pass through.

Since there is no video player on this forum: https://www.reddit.com/r/AncientCoins/comments/x4bva1/real_tribute_penny_1437_ad_denarius_tiberius/

What are your thoughts on the coin- Does anything stand out? I'd be happy to discuss

Thanks

djmacdo:
Weight?  I only see the obverse.  The sharp edge at the bottom of the obverse bothers me a little.

Baron:

--- Quote from: djmacdo on September 03, 2022, 04:46:42 pm ---Weight?  I only see the obverse.  The sharp edge at the bottom of the obverse bothers me a little.

--- End quote ---

Hi, I don't have a scale, but anecdotally it weights the same as my other Denarius in the hand.

You can see the reverse and more of the bottom in this video: https://www.reddit.com/r/AncientCoins/comments/x4bva1/real_tribute_penny_1437_ad_denarius_tiberius/

djmacdo:
A decent scale ought to be one of the first things you acquire.  They are not expensive compared to acquiring a fake.  I still can only see the obverse.

Baron:
Fair advice. I'll look into acquiring one on Amazon.

When you click the link there should be a 1:37 video. First half of the video is the obverse, the second half is the reverse. I do my best to manipulate the coin on different angles against to get the light against it, including all the edges.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version