Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Suspect early electrum type  (Read 703 times)

Offline glebe

• Caesar
    • Glebe Coins
Suspect early electrum type
« on: April 03, 2022, 02:29:29 am »
I have been wondering about this electrum trite for a while.
It combines a very early plain obverse with somewhat later pebbly punches, and seems to be totally uncirculated.
The auction writeup compares it with Linzalone 1070 and Rosen 252, but there is no connection in my opinion.

Ross G.

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
Re: Suspect early electrum type
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2022, 11:40:53 am »
I am also unconvinced of that attribution. The electrum trite's comparison to LN-1070 appears to be merely speculative, with a vast difference in weights and description. LN-1070 is an Ionian stater and weighs in at 13.34 gm, while the subject coin is presumably Milesian and weighs just 4.65 gm. 

The Rosen reference (online here) is more plausible, described as on the Milesian standard, though the trite is much smaller than the Rosen coin (at 7.014 gm).

Nota: The Linzalone book has an oddly flawed image of the coin.
Anaximander Barypous
Member since 2019.
FAC Member Gallery

Offline glebe

• Caesar
    • Glebe Coins
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2022, 06:48:38 pm »
I'm more worried about whether this coin is genuine, given that I know of no other examples of pebbly punches coupled with an unfigured obverse.

Ross G.

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2022, 06:09:03 am »
You are right to be concerned. The coin is over 2,500 years old, is otherwise undescribed, and has no pedigree.
Anaximander Barypous
Member since 2019.
FAC Member Gallery

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2022, 01:03:39 pm »
I do not agree that a lack of pedigree is a reason for authenticity concern. The vast majority of ancient coins do not have pedigree.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2022, 12:53:46 pm »
Here’s an early trite, in the Forvm shop no less. This one does have a pedigree. That would make me a little more confident as a buyer.

Rosen 257.
Anaximander Barypous
Member since 2019.
FAC Member Gallery

Offline n.igma

• Caesar
  • Life is bigger than a Tweet.
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2022, 08:34:57 pm »
A 'pedigree' going back 2.5 years for a coin of 2,500 years is hardly a provenance, nor is it in and of itself in any way a warranty of authenticity.

For the avoidance of doubt, I do not have any concern with the authenticity of the Ephesus coin in the Forum shop.

That of the coin posted by glebe is another matter altogether and I can understand the reasons for his reservations, but I have no particular expertise in this early coinage.
All historical inquiry is contingent and provisional, and our own prejudices will in due course come under scrutiny by our successors.

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2022, 09:58:43 pm »
from the photo, I assume it's slabbed and one of the big grading services felt it was authentic enough to not reject it for slabbing.  Is it a bulk ancients slab, or a higher slabbing service grade?  Might provide a little reassurance.
My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

All coins are guaranteed for eternity