Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: A blundered Thessalian League Æ18 Trichalkon?  (Read 402 times)

Offline Connect4

• Caesar
A blundered Thessalian League Æ18 Trichalkon?
« on: January 25, 2022, 10:04:18 am »
Help please,
A poor example and I can't place the ID.
Rather blundered legends on undersized flan.
Obv. Laureate head of Apollo right.  Rev. Athena Itonia advancing right, holding shield and preparing to hurl spear. ??ΣΣA / ΛΩ?  There may be the magistrate is shown by the letters on the reverse?  Very large ΛT/ΛI perhaps.    An owl? But looks like duck! to right above the shield.
7.1gr, 17.0-18.0mm & axis 12hr
A full id would be appreciated.
Thanks

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: A blundered Thessalian League Æ18 Trichalkon?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2022, 05:38:00 pm »
The legend is ΘΕΣΣΑ-ΛΩΝ. The Λ's are drapery not letters. The T-I is a magistrate.  It is an owl. I did a quick scan on Coin Archives and did not see a match.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2022, 08:09:27 pm »
I am far from an expert here, but I am currently working through a lot of Thessaly coins I bought. I think both the coins you posted you should take a look at Thessalian League coins on Wildwinds.com to get you started. Also, look at other Thessalian cities. I have also found that the Edgar Rogers Bronze Coins of Thessaly book incredibly helpful. The link for that 1932 book is here: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/articles/Rogers_Thessaly.pdf. I also am waiting on the Hoover HGC Volume 4 book I ordered before I finalize my attributions, but thanks to Altamura and Tracy Aiello here on the Forum for pointing me to those. Some of these coins are hard to pin down precisely for me, because the magistrates vary and legends can be hard to read. Hope this helps.

Virgil

Offline Connect4

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2022, 12:59:54 am »
Thanks Joe and Virgil H.  Very interesting information.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity