Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: We Know What It Is, But Is It What It Is? Prymnessos Autonomous Coin  (Read 624 times)

Offline Pete B

• Consul
I hope that everyone is enjoying their day! This Prymnessos mint coin is listed as: Von Aulock, Phrygien II, 897-906; SNG Munich 440; BMC 11-14; SNG von Aulock 3935-3936; Weber 7171 (from Wildwinds). The few different examples which I could locate have the obverse legend ending in ...OC, not beginning with it. Also, the engraver seems to have been on steroids, vis a vis other examples, and the bust looks like that of a young woman-not a young Senate. It doesn't appear to be a contemporary copy... so my question is: is it that or something else?

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: We Know What It Is, But Is It What It Is? Prymnessos Autonomous Coin
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2022, 02:17:17 am »
... so my question is: is it that or something else? ...
The BnF in Paris has a specimen with the same spacing of the legend on the obverse, perhaps even a die match:
https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b85315072

So it seems to be that :).

Regards

Altamura

Offline Pete B

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2022, 09:56:57 am »
Thank You, Altamura1 Yes, mine does indeed match the coin's O/R-that is cool...

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2022, 09:29:38 pm »
Figures like young Senate often look quite feminine.  His locks are likely based on or inspired by Apollo.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Pete B

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2022, 04:51:59 pm »
Thanks, Shawn... I tried to do an image search as well, coming up with nothing

All coins are guaranteed for eternity