Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: A Crook gets Some Justice  (Read 723 times)

Offline PMah

• Caesar
  • Qui risus classe devicta multas ipsi lacrimas...
A Crook gets Some Justice
« on: October 14, 2021, 09:49:22 pm »
Another crook in the business of ancient things.  Most people and dealers are honest, but crooks get better with practice.   This fellow seems to have been around for a while.  There were a lot of "red flags".  And thousands of fakes

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/13/arts/design/fake-antiquities-mehrdad-sadigh.html
Be Well, Stay Healthy, Support your Local Numismatic Club

Paul 

My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Re: A Crook gets Some Justice
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2021, 09:54:30 pm »
No jail time...

Offline PMah

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2021, 10:28:52 pm »
True.  Part of my read is that victims were reluctant to testify, probably because some were perceived as "experts " and would not want the negative exposure, and wealthy people often walk away from losses rather than sink more time=money into the situation.   Also, fraud is a middle-aged person's crime, as you need the veneer of credibility and experience to be successful.   But, if not caught, it is also a record of a law-abiding life, "except for that one thing...."
  Also, the Manhattan DA office will turn over at year end and that usually prompts some resolution of cases.

I missed this one in Federal Court a few days ago.  https://observer.com/2021/10/antiquities-dealer-nancy-wiener-has-pled-guilty-to-charges-of-conspiracy/

Paul 

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2021, 05:18:59 pm »
One would hope that all his victims demand their money back and/or sue him and he is forced into bankruptcy.

But alas, karma is much lacking these days.....

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline PMah

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2021, 06:22:58 pm »
I will inquire if the DA has a record of what these items were.  The prosecuting assistant DA is very experienced and led the Iraq National Museum recovery efforts as a military lawyer, so I think such opportunities were likely explored.  This scam seems to have been going on for a while, so the defendant probably barely remembers all the fakes.  Business crooks are very good at forgetting, in part because the stress of waking up every morning and saying, "I am going to spend the day committing crimes that could send me to prison," is actually very difficult to handle.  So, they are just "doing business", and what successful businessperson remembers every sale?

Paul 

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2021, 08:08:06 am »
Pretty much everything in Sadigh's gallery appeared to be fake.  Or at least 99%.  Check out the website - or the waybackproject versions if it is now down.

Central Manhattan-based fraudster.

Anyone who bought there is likely a victim and anything they bought could be brought in as evidence.

There should be a line of victims around the block, though as you say - pride and ignorance.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2021, 02:41:14 pm »
Many years ago when Sadigh began to get involved in ancient coins and a few antiquities, he was a pleasant and then apparently honest young man.  Many dealers and some collectors were anxious to help him--and then he went off the rails.  His positive reputation quickly fell, and he became someone that no one knowledgeable trusted.  I remain amazed he survived so long with so many obvious fakes.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity