Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Roman Provincial coin?  (Read 526 times)

Dave S3

Roman Provincial coin?
« on: September 24, 2021, 05:02:09 am »
It is very worn, but I was hoping someone here may have an idea what I am looking at with this coin?

Obverse shows a bearded head, looks Roman, perhaps Lucius Verus maybe.

I have no idea what I am looking at on the reverse.

Coin weighs 11.3g and is 25mm wide.

Any guesses appreciated!

regards
Dave

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Roman Provincial coin?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2021, 11:08:28 am »

Dave S3

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2021, 08:30:02 pm »
Hmmn, close. I have had a look through those and similar coins, but don't think it is quite right.

Other than the obverse on mine having a very roman-style head, the other side doesn't quite line up either, in all examples. I was also able to find a similar coin from Oitaioi, but again the imagery doesn't line up well; there is no spear on mine, and while it really does look similar to a jawbone, I think it it likely something else.

I've tried to take a photo with better light, perhaps this shows what I'm trying to explain better than words :)

regards
Dave

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2021, 02:19:01 am »
... there is no spear on mine, and while it really does look similar to a jawbone, I think it it likely something else. ...

Yes, you are right. What I thought to be the spear head also would look into the wrong direction  :-\.

Regards

Altamura

All coins are guaranteed for eternity