Resources > Fake Coins and Notorious Fake Sellers

Athens tetradrachm

(1/4) > >>

Marc B3:
Hi all.  I'm relatively new to collecting and would like to get your advice on this coin from my collection.  The reason I am asking is because of two things.  One is the pitting (I'm probably not using the correct term) around the face.  Also, the coin is very clean and shiny but there is some dirt encrusted on the reverse.  It just makes me wonder so I though I would put it out there for some feedback.  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Kevin D:
It is sometimes difficult to identify a forgery without having the coin in hand, but in the photos of your coin I don't see anything that leads me to doubt its authenticity. The "pitting" on the obverse that you cite is what I would call flan flaws, which are a property of the blank before it was struck by the hammer and dies to form a coin. In this case, the flaws might have been enlarged and made more evident by the force of the striking. Below is a link to a genuine coin with similar flan flaws.

https://www.cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=300300#

Ron C2:
I don't collect this type and can't speak to normal traits, but there are two pearls below the lower lip on the obverse when blown up. I would suggest they merit scrutiny.

Marc B3:
Thank you both for the reply.  Ron, I see what you mean.  Is that another pearl between the chin and neck?  Is casting alone the only reason for something like this?

Ron C2:
There are people.in the board here more skilled than me at detecting a fake from a photo, but pearls are often the sign either of a cast coin, or a coin struck from a cast die.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version