Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Is This Roman Ring Real?  (Read 2187 times)

Offline Tash D

• Auxiliary
Is This Roman Ring Real?
« on: February 28, 2021, 05:39:17 am »
I've just started expanding my antiques collection to include ancient artefacts. This is my first ring that I've bought, I got it from eBay. I don't have much knowledge on the topic yet, so could someone please tell me if they think this ring is authentic? It was listed as an Ancient Roman Ring 200-400AD

Offline nikopolis1

• Consul
Re: Is This Roman Ring Real?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2021, 12:20:33 pm »
Ring looks authentic .But for date I am not sure .Looks more like medieval to me .

Offline Tash D

• Auxiliary
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2021, 12:45:58 pm »
Quote from: nikopolis1 on February 28, 2021, 12:20:33 pm
Ring looks authentic .But for date I am not sure .Looks more like medieval to me .

Thanks! I'll have to look into Medieval rings and see what comes up. From my research on the design it comes up as being a 'Roman Soildier's Sun God Sol Invocto' ring I think

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2021, 01:04:16 pm »
The ring appears to have “bronze disease.” If so, and the seller didn’t tell you about it, I suggest you return it.
Take a wooden toothpick and poke a bright green spot. If light green powder comes off, it is bronze disease.
PeteB

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2021, 02:02:50 pm »
Quote from: nikopolis1 on February 28, 2021, 12:20:33 pm

Thanks! I'll have to look into Medieval rings and see what comes up. From my research on the design it comes up as being a 'Roman Soildier's Sun God Sol Invocto' ring I think

I am afraid that that description is a pure fantasy.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Mayadigger

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Romans, lock your wives way!
    • Noble Roman Coins
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2021, 06:47:50 pm »
Ave!

Forget about the bronze disease, okay?

Tash D, your ring is certainly medieval, c. 13th-15th Century.

Cast as one piece and then engraved with a central quatrefoil and incised hatch marks radiating toward an outlined circular bezel.

The symbolism is moot. I really like your ring and you should be proud to have it.  +++

Further concerning medieval rings, many have been described as having magical with powers.

The ring seen below is a rare Magic, Demon Catcher ring in my collection, ca. 14th-16th Century

The spider web on the bezel was meant to capture the curses/demons inflected upon the wearer by malevolent sources, but if that failed, the lands and grooves would make the curse simply slide away.

Is that cool or what?  8)

Best,

Kevin

"Goodbye, Livia: never forget our marriage!"

Renate H

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2021, 03:27:16 am »
Old thread ... but researching something else I came across an image that reminded me on this. Attached are two images from these sources:

Rudenko, Konstantin A. (2015): Древности Биляра. Available online p. 307

Pollio, T. N.: Towards a Consideration of Unprovenanced Ancient and Medieval Finger Rings. Available online

Perhaps this helps, although I'm not a ring expert.

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2021, 08:25:57 am »
Yes, those sources show it is 13th-14th century.  Used by Bulgars but likely by the wider population of the Balkans too.

Nothing about any of the fancier claims.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Renate H

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2021, 09:01:41 am »
As far as I know, people in Eastern Europe in the steppe zone, but also in parts of the forest belt had a nomadic life, much more so than was the case in Western Europe, and wore jewellery of very different origins on their bodies at the same time. Often it is not even possible to find out a person's ethic affiliation at that time, and pieces of the same origin may well be spread over a large area. It seems that a lot of jewellery was made by Volga Bulgarians, perhaps also this ring, or a local craftsman copied the style.

In any case, it is an interesting story and does not need any "fancy claims".  Such a piece may have had magical significance, but without a written record, this all remains speculation I think.

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2021, 12:12:34 pm »
Exactly.  A beautiful piece nevertheless.

Early and late medieval finds from the Balkans are hard to identify precisely.  It seems that the styles were used quite widely.  So, for example, the same buckle can be found in urban highly-Byzantinized contexts, rural Slavic contexts and Avar graves.  Later items, like a style of ear-ring, can be found in Bulgar, Magyar, Byzantine, Slavic and local German contexts.

At the same time there are also some items that are entirely unique to a single culture, so it is always worth the research. 

SC

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Pete B

• Consul
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2021, 10:43:29 am »
It looks like a Cross "sunburst" to me... imagining it "new" and inlaid. Many Emperor-Kingly coins from the late Roman Empire  to the Medieval Ages were defaced by a big X, and some had their edges zig-zagged to mimic a radiance

All coins are guaranteed for eternity