Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: just got this sestertius from Joe  (Read 1177 times)

Offline Bill W4

• Caesar
just got this sestertius from Joe
« on: June 01, 2019, 06:11:28 pm »

I 'm really happy with it.  
I wouldn't join any club that would have me as a member!

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Re: just got this from Joe
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2019, 09:21:20 pm »
Nice!

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: just got this from Joe
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2019, 10:21:10 pm »
Thanks Bill, but you should them what it is. Some will assume it is a denarius.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline PMah

• Caesar
  • Qui risus classe devicta multas ipsi lacrimas...
Re: just got this sestertius from Joe
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2019, 04:16:30 pm »
Yes, details please! These are off-the-radar for many collectors.
Be Well, Stay Healthy, Support your Local Numismatic Club

Paul 

My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album

Offline Bill W4

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2019, 09:57:14 pm »
Here's Forums description   Roman Republic, Anonymous, c. 211 B.C.

Click for a larger photo
The silver sestertius is a scarce type discontinued by 208 B.C.
RR87784. Silver sestertius, Crawford 44/7; Sydenham 142; RSC I anonymous 4; BMCRR I p. 16, 13; Russo RBW 176; SRCV I 46, Choice VF, toned, porosity, weight 0.847 g, maximum diameter 12.5 mm, die axis 165o, Southern Italian mint, c. 211 B.C.; obverse helmeted head of Roma right, winged helmet with visor and griffin crest, IIS (= two asses and a semis) behind; reverse The Dioscuri galloping right, paludamentum flying behind, stars above, ROMA in linear frame below; scarce; SOLD
I wouldn't join any club that would have me as a member!

Offline gallienus1

• Caesar
  • Hope for the best but prepare for the worst
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2019, 08:22:05 am »
Congratulations Bill W4 silver sestertii rarely appear. They are an interesting coin because I believe they could have been intended to fit in as a fraction of a quadrigatus because at the time it was struck the quadrigatus was still in circulation. The quadrigatus was weighted at 6 scruples and the half quadrigatus 3 scruples. The silver sestertius at around 1 scruple would have been a useful fraction of the larger coins.
The victoriatus was also about 3 scruples and so would have fitted into the system.

That the denarius given a value was originally of 10 asses, and quinarius valued at 5 asses were on a slightly different weight standard must have caused a lot headaches for traders at the time. Possibly why the silver sestetrius disappears so quickly after the introduction of the denarius and consequently why they are now such a rarity.

Best regards,

Steve

All coins are guaranteed for eternity