Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Cleaning & Attribution help  (Read 965 times)

CNS

Cleaning & Attribution help
« on: December 20, 2014, 01:46:58 pm »
Hey guys, so here are 5 coins I'm working on at the moment.  Sorry I don't have before pictures, that's something I really intend to start doing and keep so I can see the difference. 

Anyway I'm looking for advice and help.  Currently I soak and toothbrush followed by mechanical cleaning under a microscope.   

In order.

1) I think this might be a gonner, I'm not sure yet.  The middle looks like it might be down to the bronze (was like this when I got it), it all looks a mess under the scope.  You can kind of make out someones head but only in some lights\angles.  My questions are around the black stuff, I have a lot of coins with this on it and still can't figure out if it a kind of patina or some kind of tar like dirt.  Can anyone speak a few words about what it is?

2) I think this is a posthumous for Constantine I.   Was down to the bronze when I got it, although I really like how it makes him look like Skeletor's evil twin on the reverse.  I don't however like the obverse.  There is some actual dirt dirt in the lettering I'm going to remove but I'm thinking of calling it quits after getting that out of there.

3) I have no idea what this is, I've looked and looked and can't find anything that seems to match so maybe a late provincial?  The bust (is that the right word?) style fits either earlier imperial coins or later coins from what I can see but I'm hampered by being unfamiliar with standard reverses and their time frames.  It's huge and thick, the lines are lined paper so we're looking at 25-30mm.  Its a shame about the green line down his face, I've poked it a bit and it looks like its a pitted mess underneath so I'm taking my time and figuring out where removal makes sense.  I feel the obverse just needs a few touches.  I fear for the reverse.

4) What is this?  I'm stumped, doesn't really look Roman at all.

5) Again, no clue on what this is.  Anyone feel there is a chance of the obverse coming good? Its a delicate patina as well, very fragile.  I like the reverse though, looks like maybe a palm tree or a seagull at the top?

Sorry for the janky looking picture I'm not photographer!  You can make out the details though I think, let me know if I need to get a better image.
Any advice or help is appreciated.

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
Re: Cleaning & Attribution help
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 02:36:55 am »

Please post your coins for identification one coin per thread.

the 2 last coins are Makedonian, like:

4) http://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=7892

5) http://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=1608227

Pekka K

CNS

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2014, 03:35:38 am »
Thanks for that pekka I don't think I would have thought to look that far back.

Also sorry about breaking the 1 per thread attribution rule, am I ok to leave these ones since you have already helped with two and it might help someone else? Or would you rather I kept this to just cleaning advice and single posted any attribution questions?

Offline Lee S

• Comitia Curiata
  • Conservator
  • Caesar
  • γεια μας !!!
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 02:52:55 pm »
Hi CNS,

Coin 1 is beyond much help I think, but if you have more with black almost sticky gunk all over see my reply in the "no magic bullet" thread.. this sounds like one of the rare jobs for olive oil!!

coin 2 you have perfectly weighed up

coin 3 I am unsure about... It strikes me as perhaps a modern coin seeded into a batch of uncleaned as bait... this happens from time to time, but then again I could be wrong... You will probably get a better answer by posting this coin in the identification thread.

coin 4 looks like it could have BD on the shield side which should be your first concern, but if it is stable it will clean up quite nicely with a scalpel or dental pick.

Coin 5 looks like you will reveal a nice reverse with manual methods also.. perhaps the obv. also, hopefully under the soft greenish dirt is a harder surface you can work back to.

Not so much help, but perhaps a little! :)

Good luck!

Lee.

P.S. In my experience, the best way to guarantee failure is taking "before" photos!!! :evil:   

All coins are guaranteed for eternity