Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Augustus and Agrippa help!  (Read 781 times)

Offline Jschulze

• Caesar
Augustus and Agrippa help!
« on: August 07, 2014, 02:39:07 am »
I've been soaking this coin in distiller water and brushing it every couple weeks since probably April. The brushing (tooth brush) appeared to have done all it was going to do so I pulled it out and dried the coin.

Then sitting on the couch I noticed that with some effort I could mark the crud on the back with a thumbnail. Anyway if I look really closely there appears to be some real great detail obscured.

As I'm a real beginner at this, I don't want to go at it with a dental pick because I'm afraid of screwing the coin up. The "crust" is extremely solid, so much so that originally I thought the reverse was without detail and the crud was the patina over a worn featureless surface. However I was able to thumbnail a small part of an edge down to a smooth patina.

As distilled water and brushing did near nothing for 4 months, are there any suggestions on tackling this crust without stripping the coin?

Also there's a counter mark on the coin that I'm really interested in learning about as well.

These pictures aren't the best, I'll provide better ones when time allows. Thanks for your suggestions!

Josh

Offline Lee S

• Comitia Curiata
  • Conservator
  • Caesar
  • γεια μας !!!
Re: Augustus and Agrippa help!
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 07:54:16 am »
Hi Josh,

I have tweeked your photos a little to bring out more detail...

There are several options you can take with your coin, ( which I have no doubt will clean up nicely with some patience and hard work!)

The best option would doubtless be to attack it with either a dental pick, scalpel , pin or my favorite tool , which is a length of stainless TIG welding rod sharpened to a point on one end and a chisel blade at the other end... The trick is to only work the tool up and away from the coin, thus ensuring you don't scratch the patina..

If you are unsure about your skill then why not buy yourself a few cheap uncleaned Romans from fleabay and practise on them... ( or enter the never ending coin cleaning contest.... Cheap and very cheerfull!! ).... Chances are you won't find anything wonderfull , but even if you can remove the crud from a slug without damaging the surface then you will feel more confident attempting this job, and while you are practising this coin can soak in DW for a few weeks more, making your eventual job even easier..

If you realy don't want to go this route you could try buying bamboo kebab spears, they are tougher than the nylon brush, but still soft enough not to damage the patina..

You might also try Gringotts conservator mix.. I think Joe used to have this for sale in the coin store, but I know a quick google search will throw up a truted supplier, and this does a wonderful job of softening hard encrustations without damaging patina... I cannot personally recommend this product too highly!! It is much speedier than DW ( and I am currently using it on my man faced bull coin which I hope to post progress pix of later today..)

Whichever route you choose, please post photos and keep us updated with your progress, and the best of luck to you!!

Offline Jschulze

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 10:12:04 pm »
Than you for the advice Lee!

The problem is that the black asphalt like crud on the obverse is thin but very hard so making any headway requires more force than I feel comfortable applying with the coin surface so close. And nothing comes off in chunks only fine dust.

On the reverse, the crud is thicker but still very hard. I can't seem to "get under" anything to pop off and there is no softness in the crud that gives away crud vs coin.

Last night when I pulled it out of the DW, I dried it in the oven at about 175 degrees for about 20 minutes. For a brief period if time after that, I was able to get a small amount of the more obvious crud with a lot of work, thumbnails and toothpick. Sine then however the crust seems to have hardened again.

So, in some places I can see some great detail and flat fields beneath the crud. There's a nice coin under there but it's so close but yet so far away. It's like seeing Christmas presents but being unable to open them until next Christmas. Ha.

Anyway, I'm going to keep carefully picking at it and order some Gringotts in the meantime. Thanks again. Any insight on the countermark? I know the photos are rough, I'll try to get better ones up this weekend.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 07:53:41 am »
If you are having some luck some time with the black stuff it is worth continuing your soaks.  It will likely get softer and easier to remove.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity