Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Advice on Ideal Magnification  (Read 792 times)

Favonius Cornelius

Advice on Ideal Magnification
« on: August 06, 2014, 04:54:40 pm »
I was wondering if anyone had advice on affordable and good microscopes and work platforms that are used for this line of work. To learn the trade of forgery identification you probably need a more powerful magnification than for cleaning?

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
Re: Advice on Ideal Magnification
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 05:40:58 pm »
Except for the most extreme cases I think a 10x standard loupe is sufficient.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 07:53:59 am »
10x - 20x is ideal.  My binocular microscope came with 20x and I thought I was going to have to order a 10x piece for it.  But I soon learned to love the 20x.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Lee S

• Comitia Curiata
  • Conservator
  • Caesar
  • γεια μας !!!
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 08:04:47 am »
For cleaning work I use a desk top illuminated magnifying glass, I'm not sure about the exact magnification but they seem pretty standard.. It has a 90mm lens, with an insert for finer work, the magnification is only about x3 and perhaps x10 in the inset, but I find it perfectly comfortable for all but the finest work, which I perform with my 20x loupe... I like that the lens is big enough for me to see the coin in 3D without having to splash out on a binocular microscope, ( they can be found for £30/$50 ) and perfectly satisfactory for my needs..
  Lee.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity