Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: How was this coin cleaned?  (Read 824 times)

Ghengis_Jon

How was this coin cleaned?
« on: June 25, 2013, 08:17:38 am »
Obviously by some mechanical means.  Looks like it was anchored somehow and then make to kiss an industrial grade belt sander.  Just curious of some of the techniques used by low end coin butchers.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: How was this coin cleaned?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 02:10:42 pm »
Those are relatively deep gouges into a hard brass-like alloy.  I think it would take a metal file or steel wire brush and not just sandpaper, even from a belt sander. [Besides belt-sanders are for belt-sander racing and not coin cleaning.]

I have some coins with an even worse cleaning.  The relief is all flattened bright copper while fields are still covered in dark green encrustations.  In a few cases I have wondered if they were done on a grinding wheel!!!

But to be safe have you looked under magnification?  I also have some coins with similar marks where the marks are clearly ancient - i.e. partially under encrustations/corrosion.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
Re: How was this coin cleaned?
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 02:33:34 pm »
These coins just look that way, because of the way the flans were prepared for striking. Look up some well-preserved examples on acsearch.info to compare.
Andreas Reich

All coins are guaranteed for eternity