Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Lot of large Romans.. Uk detector find ( ? )  (Read 779 times)

Offline Lee S

• Comitia Curiata
  • Conservator
  • Caesar
  • γεια μας !!!
Lot of large Romans.. Uk detector find ( ? )
« on: May 04, 2013, 05:18:28 am »
Hi Guys,

I received a bunch of large uncleaned romans yesterday,  ( a birthday present from my folks in England   )  , allegedly metal detector finds from the south of England...
   They all have the same powdery green patina under a thin hard layer, then a thin layer of dirt on, ( or no patina at all, only dirt then pitted brass   ) , so I believe they could be from the same site, and I have started to send enquiries to see if I can narrow the find area down a little, however I believe that half will clean up to be at least identifiable, and 4 cleaned up without much trouble at all... I just scraped away the brown mud top coating using a dental pick and spit ! then scrubbed gently under the tap, dried and sealed with wax polish...

I wonder if these size / type of coins are normal for UK finds.?

Here is the before photos... The modern coin is a 1 kronar... the same size as an English 10 pence or 1 mm bigger than a US quarter..

Offline Lee S

• Comitia Curiata
  • Conservator
  • Caesar
  • γεια μας !!!
Re: Lot of large Romans.. Uk detector find ( ? )
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 05:33:18 am »
And here are the ones I am happy with so far...

Offline HELEN S

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 07:08:10 am »

What a lovely gesture by your family how thoughtful.
 I am so pleased that these coins have found a home at last where they will be appreciated  +++ +++

The quality of the detector finds in England depend on the type of soil they have been in especially the amount of sprays and additives that have been added to the soil over the years.
 I have seen coins dug up in pristine condition just as if they had been lost yesterday and then you get the ones that have been eaten away, sand seems to be the kindest      ::)

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 10:58:34 am »
Sadly British uncleaned can be among the worst in terms of patina quality.  There are obviously some nice ones but for some reason lots of British ones have this powdery surface.

Your lot seems to be of very large coins and is definitely not a normal lot.

Good stuff.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity