Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: How to Clean Silver (not Silvered) Coins  (Read 77842 times)

Offline Platon

• Consul
  • To show the fly the way out of the fly-bottle.
Re: How to Clean Silver (not Silvered) Coins
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2012, 09:52:22 pm »
Is this horn silver on the reverse of this coin? Any thoughts on the look of this coin--maybe it's over-cleaned? It looks really shiny compared to most silver coins I've seen on this website.

I didn't clean this coin myself, I like it very much because of the crisp portrait, but perhaps whoever cleaned it didn't do the best job?

Offline SRukke

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Go ahead, make my day.
    • My gallery. Started January 2009
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2012, 10:41:57 pm »
I don't think it's horn silver. Looks more like rust. Maybe the coin may have been buried with something made of iron?

Offline Platon

• Consul
  • To show the fly the way out of the fly-bottle.
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2012, 11:00:50 pm »
Should I treat the coin any way? Any sense in trying to remove it?

Offline daverino

• Caesar
    • My Gallery:
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2012, 06:19:45 pm »
It does look like a rust stain. Personally, I would try lemon juice which is generally safe to use on "good" silver coins. It contains citric acid which specifically binds to iron and can dissolve iron oxide. I would see if working on the stained area with a soaked q-tip can lift or lighten the stain but wouldn't be too disappointed if it doesn't since it is a fine looking coin either way.

Offline Holding_History

• Caesar
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2012, 08:57:01 pm »
I just finished cleaning a silver coin covered with some of the hardest crud I have seen before. I used vinegar and lemon juice (at different times), a straight pin to take the top layer off, stopping before I got to the metal so as not to scratch the coin, then as I got closer a nylon brush and paper towel.

Nathan
All the best,
Nathan

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2012, 04:34:52 am »
Wow!  Incredible job Nathan.

I could actually have lived with the coin as it was before too as it was interesting, but there is no denying that you have brought out excellent detail from under that stuff.  And very interesting "stuff" too.  So green it would seem to have been hoarded with some Cu coins.  I know there was significant Cu in the alloy when Quietus coins were being struck but I don't think that amount alone would account for that green.

Shawn

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline ionutbd

• Consul
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2012, 08:46:58 am »
Is rather a billon coin than a silver one, but great job cleaning it. Wel done!

Offline Britanikus

• Caesar
    • Galerie
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2013, 02:36:02 pm »
 I know i have other topic with same thing .Here I have example  before and after silver denarius  with lead deposits cleaned with ammonia
the result is lead is gone copper stays .
Do NOT USE THE WRONG SUBSTANCE
For COPPER  use lemon juice
For Lead only use ammonia

Ammonia is toxic use only outside and for lead deposits. Dip the coin in glass jar with ammonia just enough to cover the coin close the lid "Ammonia will evaporate if you don't close the lid "
Every 15 min check the coin rub with fingers until you like the result DO NOT OVERUSE AMMONIA IT WILL DAMAGE THE COIN "
In my case for this Vespesian the coin was in ammonia for 3-4 hours and i was checking it every 15-20 min

Step 2 is to use lemon juice to remove the copper deposits which im not going to do just because i think the coin looks great with them .

Offline Dk0311USMC

• Conservator
  • Consul
    • My gallery
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2013, 04:46:16 pm »
My latest project...  I have quite a bit of experience cleaning bronze coins, but this will be my first adventure trying to clean encrustations off a silver coin.  From some of the reading earlier in this thread I am thinking on using a variety of methods including distilled water, lemon juice and vinegar, as well as careful scrubbing with a nylon brush.  My greatest fear is scratching the silver so I'm thinking this is going to be a long slow project.  My uncleaned bronze coins I have got down to a science and am usually able to clean many up in short periods of time, but this will be a different animal, having to take care not to scratch the silver.

If anyone has any additional advice before I begin please share!   
Thank, Danny

Offline Sosius

• Caesar
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2013, 10:56:58 am »
It's been a while since I cleaned coins, but I came across this article by accident.  It's a Reader's Digest "slideshow" with 13 tricks for cleaning silverware. Many of them made me think of the things I learned on this board. There are familiar things here, like lemon juice and aluminum foil, and some things that seem dangerous, like toothpaste, but there are also some unique methods, like using ketchup.  Now that's something that all of us Yanks should have in the fridge!  I assume it works because it's acidic, having both vinegar and fruit acids.

Who knows, some of these tricks might work on silver coins. I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts. 

http://www.rd.com/slideshows/how-to-clean-silver/

Sosius

PS: If you're an Aussie, you might want to try Vegemite instead of ketchup. It could wind up being the ultimate coin cleaning potion! Better than eating it, that's for sure.  :evil:
Sosius

My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=24203
650+ coins and about 2/3 done--I have a coin problem

superflex

« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2013, 02:56:40 am »
From my experience here's what i have found works:

Water down some lemon juice, and apply to the coin using cotton ear buds.

Slowly increase the amount of lemon for stronger acidity.

Be careful with using lemon though, slowly apply water downed solutions first, watch the toning !

You could also try a two to one ammonia soak.

Start on the harder encrustations first.

As an Aussie i suggest not wasting any vegemite on your coins. Much better results on your toast for breakfast.

Offline Jackson G

• Legionary
  • The Milkmann
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2015, 09:53:58 pm »
I appear to have found a silver coin, but it has a thick layer of blueish encrustations on both sides and a layer of brown on one side and hard to clean mechanically. Would ammonia work for cleaning it or would i need something stronger? I did a test scratch on the edge and it appears silver, not silvered.   any ideas???
I am the Avgstvs of all the Milkmen still out there. Fear me

Offline Lee S

• Comitia Curiata
  • Conservator
  • Caesar
  • γεια μας !!!
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2015, 07:46:14 am »
Hi Jackson...

Here is a post describing how I cleaned an encrusted silver coin... If your coin looks anything like it then the same methods will work...

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=99174.0

However if you post photos of your coin it will be possible to give more specific advice...

Best wishes!!

Lee.

*Andre* C

« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2016, 01:48:51 pm »
Very rarely, and only for coins of high grade AR - weak solution Trilon B. For Roman AR coins suitable gel used by dentists
For a long time he wrote the article, it is in Russian, but the illustrations are clear.

https://tinyurl.com/yx4y45p6

For coins of local dressing (Cimmerion Bosporos and Taurische Chersonesos  ) - it is better without chemicals.
But sometimes the gel helps :)

Offline B-Chicago

• Praetorian
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2018, 01:34:59 pm »
for the red stuff on silver coins I let them soak in distilled water for months - it tends to spread a little and often turns greenish

that's when I dip them in lemon juice for a short bath

rinse and repeat over many months

eventually it will break down

sorry I dont have any pics but this is what works bet for me and red on silver

also can try wrapping in tinfoil and boiling in water with several tablespoons of baking soda if you're in a hurry but it often doesn't get it all off

All coins are guaranteed for eternity