Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Siculo-Punic tetradrachm  (Read 829 times)

Offline Skolot

• Consul
Siculo-Punic tetradrachm
« on: September 08, 2021, 03:20:45 pm »
Hello! This coin looks to me a bit different from other coins that I see in catalogues and on internet. Need you opinions. The weight is 17.30 gr

Offline Skolot

• Consul
Re: Siculo-Punic tetradrachm
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2021, 03:21:52 pm »

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2021, 01:49:46 am »
On the reverse of all these coins the two bundles with dates are well aside of the trunk of the tree and have some distance to it, here they are overlapping it.

Looking at the coins from the die study done by Kenneth G. Jenkins ("Coins of punic Sicily. Part 4", SNG 57, 1978, pp. 5-68) I don't find a single one with such a depiction of the dates:
https://www.e-periodica.ch/cntmng?pid=snr-003%3A1978%3A57%3A%3A283#page=66&zoom=auto,-142,807

So I am very sceptical :-\.

Regards

Altamura

Offline Arados

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2021, 03:32:46 am »
The obverse looks quite convincing with natural ware and although not a definate indicator that this coin is fake the file marks seen clearly around the reverse edge of your coin do look suspicious. Also the soft features on the reverse are a concern.

Not sure about this one.

Regards
Arados

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2021, 07:44:30 am »
I can only agree with Arados.  The obverse looks good, but the reverse raises serious doubts--both in style and soft details.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2021, 04:31:31 pm »
Cast. I think both the obverse and reverse look cast. It is probably a cast of a fake struck with modern dies, with better obverse style than reverse style.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Skolot

• Consul
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2021, 07:49:17 am »
Thank you very much for your opinions  +++

All coins are guaranteed for eternity