Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Separating fused lead coins  (Read 750 times)

Offline nikopolis1

• Consul
Separating fused lead coins
« on: June 02, 2021, 06:01:17 am »
Lead celtic imitations of Odesos .How to separete them?So far soaking in formic acid for a week did not help.I try to drive a needle in between -I give up ,lead is too soft and I will damaged them.I  think to try electrolysis  .Any sugestions for any other treatment?I suspect eletrolysis will strip the patina

Offline Ken W2

• Consul
Re: Separating fused lead coins
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2021, 02:38:52 pm »

Maybe 3 or 4 wood toothpicks used as wedges spaced around the edges, gently pushing them in a little bit at the time ?  Wood is less likely to damage the metal and using multiple leverage points might help too. Good luck.

Ken   

Online Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2021, 04:53:56 pm »
have you tried boiling them in water?

The issue with lead is that it both soft and has a low melting point.  Heat would eventually release them, but it would be easy to overdo it and melt the surface.  Boiling and then gentle prying with a wooden wedge is something you can try.
My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline nikopolis1

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2021, 12:32:15 am »
Boiling sounds good to me .I will try .Thanks for the idea +++ .I will leave electrolysis and heating like last resort

All coins are guaranteed for eternity