Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Separating fused lead coins  (Read 745 times)

Offline nikopolis1

• Consul
Separating fused lead coins
« on: June 02, 2021, 06:01:17 am »
Lead celtic imitations of Odesos .How to separete them?So far soaking in formic acid for a week did not help.I try to drive a needle in between -I give up ,lead is too soft and I will damaged them.I  think to try electrolysis  .Any sugestions for any other treatment?I suspect eletrolysis will strip the patina

Offline Ken W2

• Consul
Re: Separating fused lead coins
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2021, 02:38:52 pm »

Maybe 3 or 4 wood toothpicks used as wedges spaced around the edges, gently pushing them in a little bit at the time ?  Wood is less likely to damage the metal and using multiple leverage points might help too. Good luck.

Ken   

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2021, 04:53:56 pm »
have you tried boiling them in water?

The issue with lead is that it both soft and has a low melting point.  Heat would eventually release them, but it would be easy to overdo it and melt the surface.  Boiling and then gentle prying with a wooden wedge is something you can try.
My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline nikopolis1

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2021, 12:32:15 am »
Boiling sounds good to me .I will try .Thanks for the idea +++ .I will leave electrolysis and heating like last resort

All coins are guaranteed for eternity