Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Stripped Sev Alex of Nicaea  (Read 619 times)

Offline Ken W2

• Consul
Stripped Sev Alex of Nicaea
« on: May 18, 2021, 10:24:00 pm »
Hello all: I posted last fall to get input about improving this Sev Alex from Nicaea. 19.97 mm  4.06 grams. Finally decided to strip it. Treatments were lye bath, SBBB under water, light smoothing with very fine flame point polishing point under water, and short dip in liver of sulfur solution. Probably will let it tone naturally from here.  I don’t strip many coins but I do think this coin is improved. Would welcome your thoughts and suggestions about how to better employ these techniques, again used as a last resort.
Ken

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Stripped Sev Alex of Nicaea
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2021, 04:56:32 pm »
As you said, last resort.  I don't think there was any real alternative to this one.  The surface looked like is risked a BD-like reaction too.

It looks better now.

The lye clean might not entirely address that risk so keep an eye on it.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Ken W2

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2021, 08:57:37 pm »

Will do, and thanks for the response Shawn.

Ken

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2021, 10:25:21 pm »
if you are worried about BD, you could consider boiling it in DW, then heating it in an oven to a little over 100 celsius.  Once dry and cool enough to pick up, treat with a light coat of Ren wax.  Should never see BD after that.
My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

All coins are guaranteed for eternity