Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Back from an extended hiatus  (Read 1265 times)

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
Back from an extended hiatus
« on: March 21, 2021, 09:14:23 pm »
Evening all.

Due to many issues out of my control, I have been away from cleaning and collecting for a few years. Needless to say things have settled down a tad and I am settling back in to what I hope is sustained normalcy
! :)

So, picked up my first lot of uncleaned's the other day...actually, I hit a few site's "premium" lots and heh...not so great. A few decent, but no where near the quality of the late 90's early 2000's. I was able to rescue a well struck silvered Probus VICTORIA GERM, but mostly culls. Does this seem to be about normal these days? When I last stopped, uncleaned Syrian tets were the rage. :)

Anyway, I hope that this sub-forvm still gets at least a little traffic, there used to be a ton of good info here.

Chris
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Re: Back from an extended hiatus
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2021, 09:34:02 pm »
Welcome back Chris!

You're right, uncleaned lots are not what they used to be.  Tough to get true "premium" uncleaned lots.

Offline Bill W4

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2021, 05:10:34 pm »
Have to agree. I started with uncleaned  about 10 -15 years ago.  I did get one or two nice coins and a few reasonable late romans; but it quickly became mostly culls.  I'm afraid the uncleaned market currently has sadly deteriorated to the point of not being worth the bother.  I do miss it  but so it is.  I haven't bought uncleaned in several years; don't need more barely identifiable fel temps or culs for the box.
I wouldn't join any club that would have me as a member!

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2021, 07:04:25 pm »
Welcome back Chris.

I suspect you are true from what i hear of other people's experiences.  I haven't bought any for years.

Happily I have many still uncleaned that I am saving for a future day.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2021, 12:39:42 pm »
I am hoping my eye is as good as it used to be...I may find something out there worth cleaning!  ;D

Until that point though...I have an "in my price range" Didius Julianus coming to fill a hole in my "Year of Five Emperors" section...I will post once I get it and take pics.

Chris
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

All coins are guaranteed for eternity