Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: silver coin  (Read 1037 times)

Offline Blayne W

• Consul
silver coin
« on: January 04, 2020, 05:09:18 pm »
I got this coin in an uncleaned lot of bronze coins and after soaking in dw I have this.   I havent been able to totally identify it yet.  Reverse looks like Securitas seated left, and I am totally guessing at this point it is Geta on the obverse.

However my question is about the condition of the coin.   It looks like the silver has peeled off exposing  a base metal beneath. Would this be possibly a fouree?   Would be my first experience with one of those.   Also at this point are there any suggestions for further cleaning?

size is 2.3 g and 18.3 mm.
Thanks

Blayne

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Re: silver coin
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2020, 06:11:37 pm »
Yes, most certainly a fouree

Offline Blayne W

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2020, 07:21:18 pm »
is there anything I can do to clean it, without losing more silver?  I assume lemon juice would be bad.

Blayne

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2020, 07:53:29 pm »
There is nothing left to clean.

Offline TenthGen

• Consul
  • Ferrata Fidelis Constans
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2020, 03:33:20 am »
Like Jay said, nothing else to clean. Keep it as is to have as an example of a fouree.

As you noted, the coin is likely from the Severan period - depicting either Geta, Caracalla, Elagabalus, or Severus Alexander

All coins are guaranteed for eternity