Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: one more unknown...S-C from Antioch?  (Read 1891 times)

Offline Katharosteriphos

• Consul
  • What's the officer, problem?
one more unknown...S-C from Antioch?
« on: June 10, 2003, 06:36:24 am »
I'm trying to identify this coin since 6 months, but i just can't find out, by whom it has been struck, or at least, where it has been struck.
Any help would be appreciated! :)

On the obverse, there ist just a large wreath with one word in it, but the only letter i can read is an N, either at the beginning of the word or at the end. I might have scanned it upside down also... ::)
And on the reverse, as you can probably see, there is just a large S-C
The whole coin is about 23mm in diameter.

So, here is it:
God is dead.
   -Nietzsche

Nietzsche is dead.
   -God

sejanus

Re:one more unknown...S-C from Antioch?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2003, 12:44:48 am »
It's not from Antioch.  It is a bronze/brass dupondius of Augustus. ;)  I can't tell who the moneyer is, though. :-\

Offline Katharosteriphos

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2003, 10:05:12 am »
Hey, sejanus!

Thanks, mate :) ! Are you really sure, that it is from Augustus? If yes, I will go and have a beer outside!  ;) If you do own the RIC, could you possibly have a look if it is listed there?
I really didn't expect this to be a coin of augustus...
K.
God is dead.
   -Nietzsche

Nietzsche is dead.
   -God

sejanus

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2003, 11:47:24 am »
Yes, it most certainly is Augustus. 8)  This type is in every reference, Vanmeter, Sear, RIC - them all. ;)  There wouldn't be any trouble finding it on www.wildwinds.com either. ;)

Offline Katharosteriphos

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2003, 12:26:55 pm »
Yeah, thanks 1000 times, man!!  :D :D :D ;D :D 8)
I've been looking for this coin always on the wrong caesars, geez, thanks for your help!
With the help of wildwinds i could make out the obverse legend:
AVGVSTVS TRIBVNIC POTEST

there is no legend (maybe anymore?) on the reverse, which seems quite strange to me, but, to be honest, i don't care.
thx again!
uhuh, what exactly means LARDVM? i can understand the "quid novi, canis?" but I've no idea about that...despite I've received an "excellent" in the last big latin test at school (which I'm quite proud of!  ;) )
K.
God is dead.
   -Nietzsche

Nietzsche is dead.
   -God

sejanus

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2003, 10:04:11 pm »
QUID NOVI, CANIS?  LARDVM!
What up, dawg?  LARD!

The inscription is there, or at least it was, but it has dissapeared since. :)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity