Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: This one has me stumped! Help Please!  (Read 1503 times)

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
This one has me stumped! Help Please!
« on: June 05, 2003, 07:37:10 am »
I have what I think is a Geta AE15. I may be wrong with Geta but have no idea as to the rest of the coin.

Any help would be most welcome.

Maridvnvm

Offline Automan

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Silver and Gold? -Yuck!
Re:This one has me stumped! Help Please!
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2003, 07:46:53 am »
This is an Assarion (denomination) from Nikopolis ad Istrum (city) in Moesia Inferior (province). The guy on the obv is indeed Geta, while the rev depict Thanatos.

Nice little pice!

Auto

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2003, 09:34:50 am »
Auto,

Thanks for the information. I am learning bit by bit.

Am I correct in thinking that Thanatos was the Greek personification of Death? Hence wings etc. i.e. Angel of Death...
I had a look at the online Moushmov reference and couldn't find a Thanatos for Nicopolis ad Istrum.

Mardvnvm

Offline Automan

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Silver and Gold? -Yuck!
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2003, 09:49:07 am »
That is correct. MOushmov was published half a century ago and is far from complete.

Auto

All coins are guaranteed for eternity