Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Julia Domna Provincial Help  (Read 2772 times)

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Julia Domna Provincial Help
« on: May 28, 2003, 11:09:19 am »
I have what I think is a Julia Domna provinvial in my collection that I cannot identify. Any helpers out there with more idea than I??

Regards,
Maridvnvm

Offline Automan

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Silver and Gold? -Yuck!
Re:Julia Domna Provincial Help
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2003, 03:53:47 pm »
Antioch in PISIDIA, I believe. The letters, however, don't really look like those of that city. I suggest you take a look at WW and try to find a match.

Do post back if you find something interesting.

Auto

Offline featherz

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • All Elagabalus provincials to me, please! :)
    • Aeqvitas.com
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2003, 04:28:17 pm »
I was going to say Pisidia as well. You could also look under Parlais, as I have a similar Domna from that city- However Men is holding a pine cone. :)

Offline Automan

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2003, 04:45:19 pm »
Although the legends are in Latin and not in Greek so it has to be from a Colonial city.

Auto

Offline featherz

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • All Elagabalus provincials to me, please! :)
    • Aeqvitas.com
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2003, 05:41:03 pm »
Yah, that's why I thought maybe Parlais. Reverse legend would be IVL AVG COL PARLAIS - but my parlais has men with his pinecone. :)

However, I can't read too much o the legend either way :(

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2003, 07:38:54 pm »
Folks,

This is what I think that I can read on the coin with it in hand and moving it in the light....

OBV:- ???? DO - MNA AVG

REV:- ANTIOCH ???INVS

So I think that Antioch is correct.

Who is Mên? I have never come across Mên before. I went through my archives and fould the original collector tickt that came with the coin. It has some attribution that I had missed before but it doesn't help me in any way. It may make some sense to you guys though and I would appreciate your opinion.

Attribution was
"Julia Domna Ae23, Pisidia, Antioch, Mên standing right, holding sceptre and Nike with trophy in left hand, sceptre in right; cock and bucranium at feet, Krzyzanowska II/5; SNG Paris 1133-4"

Does this help? It seems to assert hat it is Pisidia and Mên. Do you guys recognise the attributions?

Regards,
Maridvnvm

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2003, 07:53:54 pm »
I went searching on the web and decided that I needed a beginners course on Greek Imperial coins.. I went to Doug Smiths site and went to the Greek Imperial beginners section.
http://www.ancientcoinmarket.com/ds/greek_imperial/1.html
The first coin I see on this page is the coin I am trying to attribute.
Doug has it as follows
"The example is a 'Greek Imperial' or 'Roman Colonial' of Julia Domna (wife of Septimius Severus) from Antioch in Pisidia (to be distinguished from a dozen other cities named for the Seleukid kings called Antiochus). The reverse shows the local god Men with his pet chicken."
I will try and contact doug and see if he has a full attribution.

I will keep you informed.

Maridvnvm

Offline Automan

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2003, 03:47:30 am »
To me it already seems you have full attribution. What else do you want to know? ;)

Auto

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2003, 04:25:28 am »
I would really love to be able to determine the full legend and that is my next goal.
Thanks for all the help.
Mardvnvm :)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity