Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Beautiful, simply beautiful  (Read 3427 times)

Offline Automan

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Silver and Gold? -Yuck!
Beautiful, simply beautiful
« on: May 11, 2003, 04:04:28 am »
http://page.auctions.shopping.yahoo.com/auction/75880565?aucview=0x30

Just look at the snake's face, and the serpent on the reverse ain't too bad either... ;D

Auto

Offline LordBest

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re:Beautiful, simply beautiful
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2003, 04:10:43 am »
For a second i thought that was a strange portrait of Otacilia Severa. ::) Nice coin. Nice reverse in particular.
                                     LordBest. 8)

Offline wolfgang336

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Aut Caesar Aut Nullus
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2003, 02:11:55 pm »
wow, he's conservative with grading. I'd give that an EF, not VF.

Evan

Offline Mayadigger

• Caesar
  • Romans, lock your wives way!
    • Noble Roman Coins
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2003, 10:36:28 pm »
Wow and then some!

Is Serapis crowned with a modius? Automan, can you tell us more about this coin and the significance of the snake on the reverse?

K
"Goodbye, Livia: never forget our marriage!"

Offline Automan

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Silver and Gold? -Yuck!
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2003, 03:27:58 am »
The serpent is a common theme on coins of the region. I have a few myself. I haven't really looked into the matter but the snake was an important religious symbol in antiquity. It must have had some special significance in the region of Thrace and Moesian Inferior, though, considering the vast number os snake-coins available. Interestingly, there are different types of "snakes", some of which aren't snakes at all, but rather mythological craetures. E.g., I have on coin that seems to depict a serpent, but it actually has a fish tail and a lion's head, and is commonly known as Chnuphis.

Auto

Offline kklinejr

• Consul
  • RESTITVTOR CRISPVS NOBILISSIMVS CAESAR
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2003, 07:43:15 pm »
One of the common religious symbolisms of the snake is its natural ability to shed its skin.  When a snake sheds its skin, it begins anew...almost like the phoenix.  The ancient civilizations drew a lot from this symbolic renewal and applied it to the human spirit and body.
Donate unwanted ancient coins to your local schools and watch ancient history come alive!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity