Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Another Sep Sev provincial for Automan  (Read 3283 times)

Offline aragon6

• Comitia Curiata
  • Praetorian
  • Violent times..yet the beauty they created is here
Another Sep Sev provincial for Automan
« on: March 27, 2003, 08:58:47 pm »
I know I looked up this coin a long time ago.  It is actually in decent shape but because the patina is mottled and uneven you cant make a scan of it at all that you could recognize.  It is definitely Sep Sev as the portrait is quite clear.  The reverse is a river god reclining with a lot of inscription around the edge, and underneath.  Under my little magnifying glass you can make out OAITON underneath the reclining figure.  My granddaughter kind of destroyed my more powerful magnifying glass. *chuckles*  That takes her out of my will for sure!  :o :o ;D ;D

PS - I think I saw a couple of examples that were close in wildwinds but not the same as the one I have.

Offline Automan

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Silver and Gold? -Yuck!
Re:Another Sep Sev provincial for Automan
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2003, 03:04:58 am »
Uhm... SO what is your question ;D Attribution? It could be from one of several cities, based on your description. even a scan showing little detail is better than no scan, since you can get a feel for the style of the coin and then might be able to say more about the specific city. River gods were a fairly common motif, even on small bronzes.

Auto

Offline aragon6

• Comitia Curiata
  • Praetorian
  • Violent times..yet the beauty they created is here
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2003, 09:37:15 am »
I really have to get myself an online site so I can post scans of these things.  It does seem that they like to cram a lot of inscriptions on these coins.  This one is actually 26mm.  Stay tuned, I am on a mission now! *laughs*

Offline Jerome Holderman

• Caesar
  • My name is Jerome, and I am a coinaholic!
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2003, 10:08:53 am »
I really have to get myself an online site so I can post scans of these things.  It does seem that they like to cram a lot of inscriptions on these coins.  This one is actually 26mm.  Stay tuned, I am on a mission now! *laughs*

Carl,
With the new site here you can post pics direct, you don't need webspace to do it. Just click the browse button under your message and find the file on your computer and hit post. The only catch is files have a 80kb max size. Also you must enter some text in the text box, and do not hit preview.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity