Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: ID Help - Byz billon and monogram  (Read 1046 times)

turanoid

ID Help - Byz billon and monogram
« on: July 17, 2010, 06:48:25 pm »
-

Offline Tom Mullally

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: ID Help - Byz billon and monogram
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 07:31:28 pm »
It's half of a lead seal, not a coin.  Beyond that, I can't help much.

Tom
Tom Mullally

Classical Numismatic Group

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
Re: ID Help - Byz billon and monogram
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 03:27:51 am »
That seal will be hard, perhaps impossible, to crack without a published parallel piece that is not broken along the channel (which I couldn't find and there is always a good chance there is none). In any case, you have the obverse and reverse swapped in your photo, and the monogram side is upside down.
The monogram is peculiar - it may identify the owner as a person named 'Stephanos', if the left side would have phi and epsilon, but we can't be sure. The legend starts 'sphragis', which means 'seal'. That could refer to the actual seal you have or to Christ as the 'seal' of the owner.
The legend of the reverse lists the owner's titles. I can't make much sense of them, but he was certainly '[L]ogoth[etes of the] Dr[omos]', legible at the end.
Regards
Gert

All coins are guaranteed for eternity