Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Tetrarchic seal of the day  (Read 1737 times)

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
Tetrarchic seal of the day
« on: January 15, 2010, 02:32:21 pm »
How about this beauty:

Roman imperial lead conical seal. 1st tetrarchy, Diocletian and Maximian augusti and Galerius and Constantius caesares, AD 293-305
The two augusti face to face, the two caesares face to face below, all draped and wearing radiate crowns
16x20mm; 6.10g; Leukel N17-N23; Extremely fine

On this seal, the portraits are exquisite to my eye, even though they are only 4mm, note in particular the portrait of Diocletian at the top left.
Regards
Gert

Offline Noah

• Caesar
  • Viva Brasil! Pátria Amada!!
Re: Tetrarchic seal of the day
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 09:39:49 pm »
Yes, that is definitely a cool find.  I have not seen many of these for sure.  The portrait of Diocletian is sharp and very attractive.  Thanks for sharing it with us!

Best, Noah

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: Tetrarchic seal of the day
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 09:27:41 pm »
I don't think we will be getting daily examples on this thread.  Very nice!
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity