Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Roman Military Items  (Read 4291 times)

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Roman Military Items
« on: March 13, 2010, 05:09:30 pm »
I have posted 30 images (so far) of my collection of buckles, belt plates, hangers, etc associated with the Roman military on my gallery at https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=3014

They include citations and references.  Please check them out.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
Re: Roman Military Items
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 10:51:43 am »
Hi Shawn,

What an interesting collection. Your excellent descriptions have clarified a number of, what were to me, unknown miscellaneous detectorist finds.

Alex.

Offline SC

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 05:34:22 pm »
Thanks Alex.

I would love to create a small finds reference where identified/attributed items could be posted.  I thought of putting the items in some new threads here but the problem is that they then "descend" out of site.  So I chose to put them on my gallery instead.  However, that sort of precludes others adding stuff.

I hope to start adding fibulae in the near future.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Roma_Orbis

• Consul
  • ad avgvsta per angvsta
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 06:08:29 pm »
It's a very interesting specialized collection, very well identified and described, congratulations!

You should add the provenance of the items, if you know it: it's a critical information for archaeological artifacts.

Jérôme

Offline SC

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 09:32:52 am »
Thanks Jerome.

Provenance is recorded for a few of the items (mostly "near Carnuntum", which is Bad Altenberg in Lower Austria, because I know some detectorists who work on farms in that area).

If it is not recorded it is because I do not know it for certain.  Provenance is not worth recording unless it is accurate.  Many of the pieces in my collection came in a large lot sold by a German vendor who was selling it for the estate of a deceased collector.  No records of where he got them.  Recording them as "German" would be misleading as there is no indication that that is their origin just because the collector lived there.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 12:03:45 pm »
Nice!  I see a few things similar to what I have had in the past.  I didn't know what they were. 
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity