Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Possibly fake Claudius As  (Read 1065 times)

Offline daverino

• Caesar
    • My Gallery:
Possibly fake Claudius As
« on: June 13, 2012, 07:34:37 pm »
I am wondering if this coin is fake. A seller on fleabay is offering several Roman bronzes with a very similar appearance. This is often a bad sign but I cannot find anything specifically wrong with this coin except for the muddled -SA- in the obverse legend. Legends and devices are correct for RIC 97 of Claudius.

PS: I couldn't find a match in the fake reports

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Re: Possibly fake Claudius As
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 10:35:24 pm »
To me it just looks like an overly cleaned authentic coin.

Offline daverino

• Caesar
    • My Gallery:
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 11:14:41 pm »
I am inclinng to agree with you, Jay. The coin is almost entirely depatinated and that gives it a strange appearance.

Offline 9meno23

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 11:49:44 pm »
this coin has no sign of cast but it does have alot of pitting on it thats good on this bronze coins also agree over cleaned and its Authentic

Online SRukke

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Go ahead, make my day.
    • My gallery. Started January 2009
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2012, 12:45:05 am »
Why they would strip what could have been a lovely coin is beyond me.

gavignano

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 06:49:13 pm »
Although I cannot condemn it, this coin makes me nervous, I would not buy it.
As to why someone would strip it, I would guess it had a fake patina that the latest owner didn't care for, like maybe Jax. The area around claudius's mouth is really weird, that is how a coin looks once a fake patina comes off.
The fields on the reverse are abnormally smooth - you often see gouges, pock marks etc on these. Especially at the time of Claudius etc, theese coins circulated often for a long time. They don't bury well either.
Enough said. Feel free to disagree.

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2012, 07:44:14 pm »
Nothing in the picture makes me doubt the coin.
Curtis Clay

All coins are guaranteed for eternity