Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Horn silver?  (Read 3597 times)

Bart V

Horn silver?
« on: October 04, 2009, 10:15:52 am »
Hi all,

I've got two coins which I think have signs of horn silver, but as I'm not familiar enough with this subject any comments would be appreciated!

And could someone explain what the consequences of horn silver are for a coin (can it spread  to other coins like bronze disease, can it destroy a coin, etc)

Thanks

Offline xintaris75

• Consul
Re: Horn silver?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 10:32:23 am »
Horn silver is abest evidence of authenticity. It's harmless.
Ω ΖΕΥ, ΠΑΤΕΡ ΖΕΥ,
ΣΟΝ ΜΕΝ ΟΥΡΑΝΟΥ ΚΡΑΤΟΣ.
ΣΥ Δ' ΕΡΓ' ΕΠ' ΑΝΘΡΩΠΩΝ ΟΡΑΪΣ
ΛΕΩΡΓΑ ΚΑΙ ΘΕΜΙΣΤΑ.
ΣΟΙ ΔΕ ΘΗΡΙΩΝ ΥΒΡΙΣ ΤΕ ΚΑΙ ΔΙΚΗ ΜΕΛΕΙ.

gavignano

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 07:18:20 pm »
Horn silver can be difficult to clean, especially if it has an uneven splotchy black patina.

Bart V

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 01:57:52 am »
Thanks for your reply's! So horn silver is harmless and difficult to get rid off. I can live with that :-)

Offline Danny S. Jones

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Danny Jones
    • FORVM Library of Ancient Coinage
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 03:45:37 pm »
I've never found much information on the subject either, but I did just clean a coin that was riddled with horn silver - with spectacular results. Here's the link to the thread:
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=56460.0

Danny

Bart V

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009, 04:21:51 am »
Thanks Danny, that was very helpful! And the results on your coin are indeed quite spectacular!

Bart

Offline bruce61813

• Conservator
  • Consul
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 11:07:50 am »
Quote from: Domitianus on October 06, 2009, 01:57:52 am
Thanks for your reply's! So horn silver is harmless and difficult to get rid off. I can live with that :-)

Horn silver is not harmless, and left untreated, it is progressive and will ruin your coin. The best treatment  is with sodium Thiosulfate.

Bruce
too many coins - too little time!!

Bart V

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2009, 11:40:17 am »
Thanks Bruce!

But could you tell me if the black spots on the first coin are horn silver or not? I really like this coin and I'm a little worried this could ruin the coin...

Bart

pepillo

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2014, 11:41:36 am »
I saw this old case today. First of all we cannot be sure there is horn silver anywhere in this coin. The obverse spots could be horn silver but it is not easy to say. Horn silver is more usually seen on purer Greek and republican silver, for example. The reverse green marks are definitely  accretions of copper carbonates, because it is mainly the copper in the alloy that mineralizes in these coins. These are not serious and in this case do not detract much from the appearance or value. As a matter of fact they are a proof of its antiquity. I wouldn't mess with this coin.

Horn silver can end ruining totally a coin but probably not in your lifetime, or indeed in many lifetimes. In the end it is a matter of taste or of choosing between kinds of ruin. The natural or the artificial. The presence of genuine horn silver implies a loss of original silver, removing it will necessary uncover some degree of corrosion which can prove ugly and contrast horribly with the rest of the coin. If thoroughly cleaned the coin will probably look corroded but unnaturally soft and tin shiny.

Online Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2014, 05:40:52 pm »
Welcome pepillo.  I agree with everything in your post.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity