Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Likely modern Cast Vespasian Dynastic Denarius  (Read 1830 times)

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Likely modern Cast Vespasian Dynastic Denarius
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2007, 12:48:18 pm »
And even if it were real, it wouldn't be worth the 375€ that the seller is asking in this condition.

Rupert
Ducunt volentem fata, nolentem trahunt.

gibfrog

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2007, 02:13:26 pm »
I found these in the FORVM fake reports

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 10:07:50 am »
This cast copy is very similar as well.

gibfrog

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2007, 08:02:37 pm »
Here is another cast copy

Offline Beast

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Praetorian
  • Still researching "the Hat"....
    • BeastCoins
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2007, 08:52:02 pm »
Interesting. And, the image is my piece. Thank you to Cliff for bringing this to my attention. Based on the other images, mine certainly looks like it is from the same group - the flan shape is the same, the edge splits are in the same spots and the flaw by Vespasian's nose matches. The rims on mine in hand don't lead one to believe it is a cast and it looked fine to me when I bought the coin from another dealer at a show, albeit in a stapled cardboard 2x2 and I didn't remove it to look at it in hand while buying a large group of coins.

Now that I am looking at it in hand again and under a loop, the overall surfaces are microporous, but the the flan isn't rough. The toning looks quite natural, but the edges of the devices don't seem as crisp as one would expect. Also, the center of the ear seems to have a touch of stray metal. I'll mark the coin as reserved for now so there is no chance of it selling at this time.

Barry - your thoughts on this? Don't know if you've actually seen this piece in hand at a show where we've been together. Certainly looks like a piece to be returned for a refund.

--Beast

gibfrog

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2007, 09:24:25 am »
Zach:

I admire your willingness to admit to an honest mistake instead of rushing to cover it up.    Do not feel too bad, here is another from a respected European auction house.  It is a very deceptive cast fake.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CoinForgeryDiscussionList/message/21754

Offline Beast

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Praetorian
  • Still researching "the Hat"....
    • BeastCoins
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2007, 09:42:41 am »
Cliff,

I've already notified the dealer from whom I bought it and he bought it from a UK dealer but has to see if he can find his records which it was. He's sending a check to me today (I paid $575 for it) and the coin will be on the way back to him today and will be deleted from the store and moved to my fakes page:

http://www.beastcoins.com/Fakes/Fakes.htm

I'm hoping he can get his money back as well.

Thanks for pointing this out and at least it was caught before I had to retrieve it from a customer. No need to cover anything up - I can admit when I make a mistake and by putting it on my fakes page hopefully it will help someone else down the road avoid the same mistake.

--Beast

Offline Hydatius

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2007, 06:33:10 pm »
This a REALLY important thread because it shows that even the most honest and upright dealers can be fooled and end up honestly selling what turns out to be a fake coin.  A few fakes do not a "fake seller" make.  As always Zach is a model for us all.

Richard
Non tam praeclarum est scire Latine quam turpe nescire.

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2007, 02:43:13 pm »
I wish everyone was as honest! It goes to show that anyone can be fooled, and that if you handle a lot of coins, it's going to happen eventually.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2007, 03:18:04 pm »
Isn't it, though, the most natural and obvious thing in the world to acknowledge your own error when it is clearly shown to be one?

What should our goal be, to recognize the truth as well as we are able, or to strive for an appearance of personal infallibility by stubbornly defending our own mistakes even in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary?
Curtis Clay

Offline Hydatius

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2007, 04:20:00 pm »
What should our goal be, to recognize the truth as well as we are able, or to strive for an appearance of personal infallibility by stubbornly defending our own mistakes even in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary?

Curtis, you are so right, but, alas, I know too many people who adopt the latter option.

Richard
Non tam praeclarum est scire Latine quam turpe nescire.

Offline ROMA

• Caesar
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2007, 05:21:18 pm »
I have no reason to doubt that beast coins is honest and upfront. Nor does this comment even apply to him, as no one purchased the cast coin. But while were talking about honesty i wanted to add that I've come across a couple dealers who are quick to make ammends when an issue comes up on a public forum, but are a different person altogether when dealing with in private. When I find dealers who are willing to amicably settle issues in private, they have a life long customer in me. :)
Adversus solem ne loquitor

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2007, 06:56:02 pm »
Curtis is right.  Classically, such is the difference between pride (or self respect) and vanity; in Freudian terms between imperfect and well accomplished ego formation.  Infantile personalities, though, are one thing--and then there are crooks.  Pat L.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity