Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Victorinus Elmer 741  (Read 365 times)

Offline Flav V

• Caesar
Victorinus Elmer 741
« on: July 20, 2022, 07:03:32 am »
Hello,

This coin with PIETAS can only be for Victorinus, there is no similar type for emperors with close bust. This bust draped is on RIC 57 bust C. But is not in Elmer and Mairat. Its pretty strange to see he is not listed on those books. Elmer 741 and 742 list bust with cuirass and drapery on shoulder or with spear. Same for Mairat 654, 655, 656 and 657.

The weight of the coin is 3.00 grs. Not an imitative.

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
Re: Victorinus Elmer 741
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2022, 02:35:03 pm »
Hi,

Sadly I cannot agree with your conclusion that this is not an imitation.

The style of the bust is competent, but curious, and the lettering that remains just not right. What really betrays the coin for me is the crude reverse, in particular the style of the lettering and circular border that is of a style that I have never seen on a legitimate Gallic Empire piece.

Sorry,

Mauseus

Offline Dominic T

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2022, 05:04:52 pm »
I took the liberty of posting your coin on a French site dedicated to Gallic empire coins. The verdict is unanimous : local imitation.
DT

Offline Flav V

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2022, 05:13:23 pm »
I had a doubt but the weight made me think it can be an official coin but of bad fabric.

This one is official and not on books i listed: https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=6808165

Offline Dominic T

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2022, 07:28:20 pm »
The specimen from acsearch you showed has a wrong description. It’s a SALVS AVG reverse not a PIETAS AVG; here’s mine for the comparison.
DT

Offline Flav V

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2022, 02:36:06 am »
Oh yes, sorry  :-[ i did not look at reverse, just searched by ''victorinus pietas'' and found this one between all others that were with good type.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity