Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Please can anybody help identify this small Figurine  (Read 1838 times)

Baptistbob

Please can anybody help identify this small Figurine
« on: August 07, 2011, 01:21:15 pm »
Hi all, i have been searching the internet trying to find something similar to this item, (hence how i found this great site)  it is a small statue / figurine in bronze, i was thinking it may be of Asklepios but i am not so sure after looking at other imagery of him. It is around 8 cm tall.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline benito

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
  • quousque tandem abutere Sadigh pecunia nostra
Re: Please can anybody help identify this small Figurine
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 02:15:50 pm »
Sorry,but it looks like a fake modern cast to me, with a  pretty badly rendered fake patina in Bulgarian style.

Baptistbob

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 03:41:12 pm »
Hi benito thanks for your input, what exactly makes you think that it is a fake ?
and if it is a fake then what is it a fake of ?
thanks

Offline benito

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
  • quousque tandem abutere Sadigh pecunia nostra
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 12:13:35 pm »
Could I have a better pic to better appreciate the patina. With the figure standing.
Recently excavated ? I think that a soft brushing will clean away the earth easily.

Online Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 12:44:51 am »
Unless you dug it up yourself, I would expect on a genuine bronze this dirt would already be removed.  It seems like an artificial attempt to make it look like it just came out of the ground.  Instead of making it look more real, it makes it look more fake
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Baptistbob

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 01:28:07 am »
Well to answer those ones, i will upload some higher resolution images and yes i did dig it up myself, i have not touched it to much as i understand from the coin side of things that it isn't always best to mess about with these things too much, however if it is a modern piece then that is not an issue. What i really would like to do is establish if it is of a particular person or just of somebody. That would help me find further details.
Many Thanks

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 08:05:08 am »
When I first saw it I was thinking medieval ................  ???

Alex.

Online Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 09:38:33 am »
No matter how old it is, ancient, medieval or modern, I would not remove the patina
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Baptistbob

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 03:11:17 pm »
You should now be able to make out more detail including the small crosses on the clothing, would really appreciate any ideas as to who or what the statue may be of.. the image is only 3mp and will add others of 12mp in due course, can't bring myself to scrape at it though.....just in case......

Online Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 06:16:12 pm »
I really don't know anything about this type of object but I don't think it is ancient.  My guess is that it is medieval, maybe a saint. 
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity