Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Cleaning Persian Helmets  (Read 1781 times)

Offline Sosius

• Caesar
Cleaning Persian Helmets
« on: February 10, 2011, 04:16:17 pm »
Hello,

This is my first time posting to this portion of the Forum, but I assume this is the right place for my query.

I recently bought these 2 Persian helmets for decorative purposes.  I honestly don't know if they are victorian reproductions or the real thing, but both have a bit of surface rust on the outside, and heavier rust on the inside.  The liners have rotted out of both of them (if they were there in the first place). 

I'm wondering how I should clean the surface rust off of them.  My gut is to use something like olive oil or mineral oil with a rag, then maybe apply some renaissance wax to seal them after cleaning.  Does this sound like a prudent approach? 

Any comments on authenticity or sites where I could learn more about the helmets would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Cliff
Sosius

My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=24203
650+ coins and about 2/3 done--I have a coin problem

Offline driekus

• Consul
Re: Cleaning Persian Helmets
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 10:39:43 am »
I don't know if they specified the era that the helmet came from, but with my very limited knowledge it looks more 18th century than ancient. I can't comment on the authenticity though.

Offline renegade3220

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 10:55:23 am »
Can't comment on authenticty or origin, but either way, I wouldn't touch them.  I would leave them as is IMO.  If truly aged, I would not mess with it.

Offline Aarmale

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 08:38:06 pm »
Mmm.. Steak!
Gallery: http://tinyurl.com/aarmale
היינו דאמרי אינשי: טבא חדא פילפלתא חריפתא ממלי צנא קרי

Offline renegade3220

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 09:29:34 pm »
Mmm.. Steak!

haha, I had to look back a the pictures!

Offline Sosius

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 02:42:57 pm »
Thanks for the advice, guys!

driekus, I believe you are right about the helmets being from the 18th-19th century if authentic. 

Renegade, I generally leave things alone, but the helmets, particularly the insides, have some pretty serious rust that is eating into the steel.  I read on an armor site that mineral oil and a Scotch Brite pad (wielded gently) can work, but that seems too harsh.  I'm going to try mineral oil on an old wash cloth on the inside of the horned helmet and see how that goes.  Hopefully the rust will come off and the mineral oil will offer a bit of protection against further corrosion. 

Cliff
Sosius

My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=24203
650+ coins and about 2/3 done--I have a coin problem

All coins are guaranteed for eternity