Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Fibulae on NumisWiki  (Read 9338 times)

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Fibulae on NumisWiki
« on: February 09, 2013, 10:08:28 am »
Shawn Caza has been working to create an excellent Fibula section on NumisWiki.   

Please help make our fibula section the ultimate online resource for fibulae.  Please contribute to these pages by adding photos and additional information.  If you have ideas or suggestions for improvements, please discuss them here.

Please take a look: 

Fibula

Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Fibulae on NumisWiki
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 08:28:30 am »
I have just finished the beginning phase of making the fibula wiki pages.  The basic architecture, or structure of all of the pages, is now in place.  I have done the basic formatting of each though I will clean them up a bit (others are welcome to do so  as well if they wish).

However, this effort is just a beginning.  Some pages don't even have lists of types yet - like Iron Age fibula.  Others just have a list with no real details - like Greek fibula.  Others have no photos yet, etc.

As Joe said please add photos.  If you don't know how, or if you have photos but are uncertain of the exact type of fibula you have please PM or email me and I can help you.

Also please feel free to add more details under each fibula.

I have tried to add the following for each fibula:

Typology: this is where we put the classifications.  If you can add some data or know of a new typology, please add it to the list (i.e. Smith C3 or whatever it is).  I still have to add lots of typology data, especially in Knee and Kraftig Profilierte types.

Dates: this is the main date range of usage.  I have chosen this based on as many sources I could find but have biased it in favour of the more recent sources.   Please do not change it based on an old source as it may have been overtaken by more recent research.  But please add any newer information or start a discussion (or email or PM me) if you think I have it wrong (which will be the case in many instances).

Distribution: these are the main find locations and some notes on usage.  I did not include data on every place they have been found as single or rare examples usually do not tell us about main distribution, but only about the key find places.

Notes:  these are any miscellaneous notes.

So in summation please help in any way - add photos, new types, data, corrections, pointing out typos and errors, etc.  lets make this a complete catalogue of fibulae types and the best fibula source on the web.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Russ

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 04:40:49 pm »
Hi Shawn,

I have a question... I don't even know if this is permissible or legal...

I have an obscure/rare (at least to me) book that illustrates a certain type of brooch, among other things. The book is Korzukhina, G.F. Russian Treasures IX to XIIIth Centuries, Moskow, CCCP Academy of Sciences (?) 1954. The text is in Russian. It illustrates three brooches of the period - 2 photos and one drawing. The line drawing illustrates the "type" very nicely - all three are very similar. If I scan the drawing can you add it? Would you want to? Is the Russian medieval period too late for your purposes?
     Thanks.

Russ

Offline SC

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 03:10:44 pm »
Russ,

The period is fine.  I think any pre-modern fibulae or brooches are good.

There are many books with great line drawings that I would love to steal en masse but I don't think we can use without permission.

However, I looked into this issue many years ago (I was a big collector of Soviet militaria) and the advice I got was that the Soviet Union never signed up to international copyright law and thus their stuff was fair game.

More importantly I think that even where copyright was in place putting a few images with proper credit would be fine.  Jst not stealing whole sections.

So lets try it.  I will add the book title when I put it up.  If the Supreme Soviet of the USSR comes after us we can appologise and take it down.

Shawn

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 04:44:16 pm »
Russ,

The period is fine.  I think any pre-modern fibulae or brooches are good.

There are many books with great line drawings that I would love to steal en masse but I don't think we can use without permission.

However, I looked into this issue many years ago (I was a big collector of Soviet militaria) and the advice I got was that the Soviet Union never signed up to international copyright law and thus their stuff was fair game.

More importantly I think that even where copyright was in place putting a few images with proper credit would be fine.  Jst not stealing whole sections.

So lets try it.  I will add the book title when I put it up.  If the Supreme Soviet of the USSR comes after us we can appologise and take it down.

Shawn

We should be very limited in our our use of material that is still in copyright, and still in print or likely to be reprinted.  We should get permission and ensure credit is given.    

If something is out of print and unlikely to be reprinted, I think it is appropriate educational "fair use" to make the unavailable, available. Not en mass, I agree, but bits. We must still give proper credit, and, yes, if we get a complaint, appologise and take it down.  

Anything published before 1923 can be used en mass.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline SC

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 09:17:12 am »
I have just completed some significant edits, and many images, to the Aucissa fibula page. 

That page is effectively done though it would be nice to find images of the few remaining Wolf fibula variants.

If you want to stay up to date with any, or all, fibula types please visit the appropriate wiki page and then click on the "Notify" tab in the upper right corner.  That will ensure you get an email notification whenever the page is updated.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline HELEN S

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2013, 12:09:32 pm »
Hi Shawn and Joe,
     Wow - this is more difficult than I thought. My computer freezes up and your site says my photo is not jpeg. I double checked and it is jpeg.... here we go again. My computer has a mind of its own this morning...
Russ

I think you may need to reduce the size of the file if you check the size of your file it needs to be smaller to post it to the forum

Offline SC

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 05:53:33 am »
Russ,

The ideal would be to crop the larger photo.

I am fairly new to a mac and I found it very frustrating trying to figure out how to re-size a photo in iPhoto.  Then I discovered  an easy way.  Once cropped you select photo and hit "export" under the File heading.  Then change jpeg quality and, most importantly size, to "medium".  Then you export to your standard "pictures" folder.  Seems to change the 1.5 meg my camera takes to something in the 50-100 k range.  When you upload you select from your pictures folder and it is quick.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Russ

• Consul
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2013, 07:07:22 pm »
Hi Shawn,
     These technical problems are driving me crazy. Your site tells me my photo files are not jpg - they sure are!...

Here are some brooches from another book - Scott, Jack G. South-West Scotland, Regional Archaeologies, London & New York, 1966.
     Ihope I don't freeze up...

Offline Russ

• Consul
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 12:16:57 am »
Hi Shawn,

I realized I had a book that contains lots of fibulae. It is The Baron J. De Baye. The Industrial Arts of the Anglo-Saxons. trans. by T.B. Harbottle. London/New York, Swan Sonnenshein, 1893. Are you familiar with it? It has about 7 plates of fibulae.
     Since I will no longer spend hours trying to figure out why my scanned jpeg files cannot be recognized, I looked for it on line and found it at http://archive.org/stream/industrialartsof00bayeiala#page/n5/mode/2up.
     Here is an idea of what they look like.
Russ

Offline SC

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2013, 08:10:08 am »
I have used Russ' images as well as taken some others from the Anglo-Saxon book he linked to.

I have also taken the liberty of deleting any messages from this thread that only provide an image that is subsequently used on the wiki pages.  This will save space etc.

Shawn

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Russ

• Consul
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2013, 08:50:28 am »
Hi Shawn,
     Thanks a lot for your help.
     Are you familiar with the following dissertation by Ward, Esther G. Zoomorphic Penannular Brooches in 6th and 7th century Ireland? It has an interesting and informative text and great illustrations. It can be found at

http://goo.gl/yzlrqQ

Wow! That's a long one.
Russ

EDIT: Shortened!  ;D

Offline SC

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2013, 01:50:35 pm »
Russ,

I did not know of that resource.  Thanks.  I don't know much about fibula of that era.

Someone might be able to shorten the url via the "tinyurl" service but I don't know how.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline SC

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2013, 06:59:37 am »
I have made major edits to the Bent-Foot Fibula page in the Germanic Fibula section.  I have added many illustrations to it.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2013, 10:26:13 am »
Nice!
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline SC

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2013, 11:12:35 am »
Just restructured the enamelled fibula sections.

Now instead of finding enamelled bow fibula under Roman bow fibula and enamelled plate fibula under Roman plate fibula there is a new section off of the main fibula page simply called Enamelled Fibula.  This leads to a page with basic information on Roman enamel and enamelled fibula which in turn leads two three pages:

enamelled bow fibula

enamelled equilateral fibula

enamel plate fibula.

This should cover all enamelled fibulae with the exception of a handful of plate fibula.  Birds and other zoomorphic fibula with enamel work remain under the zoomorphic fibula page.  Likewise object-shaped, or skueomorphic, fibula with enamel - such as enamelled sandal fibulae - remain on the skueomorphic page.

Not added any illustrations yet.  That is a project for next weekend.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2014, 10:36:02 am »
Just added several pictures but I'm having trouble getting the Hod Hill image to show up.  When I upload it the image shows on the edit page but then shows a broken link when you "View" the page.  When you click the "Edit" tab it appears again.  Any ideas?

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki/view.asp?key=hod%20hill

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2019, 09:25:30 pm »
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS