Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Justin I solidus with COMOB mintmark, where was it mint?  (Read 795 times)

samwyi

Justin I solidus with COMOB mintmark, where was it mint?
« on: May 23, 2012, 02:23:25 am »
The following solidus looks like have COMOB mintmark, could it be minted by Ostrogoths?  ;D

Offline Obryzum

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Justin I solidus with COMOB mintmark, where was it mint?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 03:25:41 pm »
Are you sure it is COMOB and not CONOB?  Can you post a close up?

Offline byzcoll

• Caesar
Re: Justin I solidus with COMOB mintmark, where was it mint?
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 05:09:31 pm »
Hi,

I also believe that it is a normal CONOB signature. The coin absolutely conforms with official Constantinopolitanian style, whereas Ostrogothic coins are quite different in style and usually feature a Victory standing left on the reverse:

http://www.acsearch.info/record.html?id=203956

byzcoll

All coins are guaranteed for eternity