Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Classical Numismatics Books and References Discussion Forum

SNG

(1/10) > >>

moonmoth:
I only have a couple of Greek references, Sear's "Greek Coins and Their Values" and the one this post is about.  

I have just bought Sylloge Nummorum Graecorum vol VIII, The Hart Collection, Blackburn Museum because I saw it on sale for 20 pounds.  It seems very clear and straightforward, and looks useful, though not necessarily more so than a few good auction catalogues would be.

Now, I often see "SNG Cop" referred to - the book of the Copenhagen museum collection.  This does not appear in the list of SNG volumes in the one I have.  The collections in this list are all British (and nearly all the volumes were out of print when this Vol VIII was published in 1989).

So, what's the numbering system for SNG?  Do different countries publish different volumes and number them differently?  Is this just a name for a catalogue of a collection, and everyone uses it?  How does this work?

ADMIN NOTE: In addition to reading and posting here, please read and update changes to the SNG list on NumisWiki's Sylloge Nummorum Graecorum page. Click the link below:

SYLLOGE NUMMORUM GRAECORUM

Bacchus:
Someone must have got a batch job of these Vol. VIII's as they regularly appear at this price.  I bought one about a year ago but found it not particually helpful for my needs, though I still like it in my library collection and it does cover 1316 coins  :)

Malcolm

moonmoth:
Yes, there's a lot in it, and it's a very broad collection.  For example, it includes one (1)  drachm of Khushru II, just about the commonest type of Sasanian coin, and not what most people would regard as Greek.  But even there it is interesting, because it gives the inscription and a translation, which are very rarely found on line.  As Joe says, it's good browsing material.  So are catalogues, but this is a bit more specific and detailed than even the good ones.

areich:
I still have only the SNG Righetti and even though it's not one of the main ones it's a good way to practice looking up stuff.
Which is not as easy as I thougt it would be.

moonmoth:
As is often the case, if you don't know the coin's origin, it's a question of finding a picture of a coin that is coin like the example in front of you.  On-line searches will often get you a match or a near miss.

I see that face matching software has started to become available on the web.  Now it seems to me that if software can match faces, it ought to be able to find a coin like mine.  I wonder  ...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version